Upper Control ARm bushing removal... - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd-December-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
childo74

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972
Upper Control ARm bushing removal...

Hey Guys - Can anyone give me some guidance on how to remove the bushings from an upper control arm? I just purchased a used and straight subframe from a 72 Nova, and in the process of tearing it down and having it blasted. I'm not clear on how to get the bushings and cross shaft separated from the upper control arm. any help would be much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd-December-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
Nova 404

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 1967 Nova SS
Unfortunately the only way I know of is to use an Air chisel and drive them out.Its loud,messy and sometimes gouges up the arms.When you go to put the new ones in make sure you make a spacer to go into the arm to stop it from crushing the arm when its in the press.
Old 3rd-December-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
JRouche

Title: Nova Guru
I would press them out. Any reason why you cant press them out?? I have had some difficult bushings before. The bearing separator I have has always been able to get in between any bushing housing and control arm so far. Then just a matter of pressing it out..

Yup, I have never done bushings on your year car. But they can all be pressed out. Ive run into some apparently impossible bushings to press out. Some folks even said the best way was to burn them out. No..... Just a matter of the fixture. Any pics?? I could press it out.. Ive pressed out some odd setups.. JR
Old 3rd-December-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
childo74

Thanks for all the insight guys! I am still unclear on how to get the cross shaft out first, before I press the bushings out. the cross shaft seems long enough that it goes into the bushings in the control arm. Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm another first-timer at doing this!
Old 3rd-December-2009, 09:49 AM   #5
Professor Fate

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): Between Novas now
Here's what I did: I removed the control arm and used a drill and drill out as much of the rubber as possible, than I removed all the final bits and pieces of the rubber. Now the cross shaft was fairly loose, but the bushing metal parts got in the way, so I used a chisel and dimpled the metal and popped it out. The cross shaft came out easily then. You need to press the new ones in.
Old 3rd-December-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
bowtie0069

Nova(s): 69
The shaft is captured between the 2 bushings; at least 1 needs to be part of the way out--I'd start soaking with some penetrant with all that rust.
I took a set to Sears thinking they would use the correct procedure to change the bushings--Buffoon just beat em out and back in with a BFH!!
I could have done that for free at home.
I just did an entire front end rebuild on a Chevelle; it's a lot easier when you have a press, I was done in no time.
Old 3rd-December-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
The Big Al

Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Remove the control arm.

I try press first. I stand it up sideways in the press, pushing down on the bushing/shaft. Pushing the opposite end bushing out. Some times just some light heat on the control arm from a propane torch can help.
The bushings are tapered and only need to move about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and they fall out.

I press them back in with a big socket that fits the out side lip of the bushings.

Just need access to a press.

AL

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old 5th-December-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
osborns

Title: Nova Junior Member
I removed my uppers and lowers and took them to a local shop with the new bushings and ball joints. They only charged me $60 to replace everything. It would have taken me at least a day to do all of them. Money well spent as far as I'm concerned. Some things are better left to those with the right tools.
Old 5th-December-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
tehdrizzle

Nova(s): 1973 Chevy Nova SS
Take it to a shop to do. I took mine up to a local muffler shop that has done work for me in the past and they pressed out the old bushings and ball joints and pressed in the new for $50. Worth it in my opinion.
Old 5th-December-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
wobbie1775

Nova(s): 1973
i removed the shaft from the frame, and once it (still attached to the control arm) was off the car i cut the shaft in the middle with a grinder...ill be buying new ones anyway, so why go through the trouble of saving it.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement