Rustoleum Semi-Gloss black VS. Rustoleum Satin Black, whats the difference? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th-October-2009, 03:15 AM   #1
bigdaddykane

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 3rd gen Nova's
Rustoleum Semi-Gloss black VS. Rustoleum Satin Black, whats the difference?

Anyone use either of these paints before on there firewall? whats the difference between Rustoleum Semi-Gloss black and Rustoleum Satin Black ? which one matchs better to the original appearce that was on the firewall? whats your experience with these paints? any ideas or help? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th-October-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
TomM

Nova(s): 1966 - Coupe
Don't know about any differences, I used the satin black on my firewall, looked close to me, and beat Eckler's $11.00 a can for the "correct" paint.... Click on my build link and look at the fender panels, I painted the entire engine compartment with it......

T,
Old 6th-October-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
DeuceWagon

I used Eastwood's UnderHood black, and I am VERY pleased with the results. I originally had Rustoleum's semi-flat black on it, but the Eastwood paint just looks better. It has a very factory look to it. When I reworked my engine compartment, I used the whole POR15 process, then Eastwood's black Self-etching primer, then Underhood black over it.

I have an extra can I'd be happy to sell to you for a better price. PM me if you want it. 1 can is plenty for the job.

DW
Old 6th-October-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
bigdaddykane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM View Post
Don't know about any differences, I used the satin black on my firewall, looked close to me, and beat Eckler's $11.00 a can for the "correct" paint.... Click on my build link and look at the fender panels, I painted the entire engine compartment with it......

T,
hi , thanks. did you use a spray can or did you get it in a quart and shoot it out of a spray gun? also can you tell me which tread number in your link shows the exact satin rustoluem paint picture the best? thanks
Old 6th-October-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
bigdaddykane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWagon View Post
I used Eastwood's UnderHood black, and I am VERY pleased with the results. I originally had Rustoleum's semi-flat black on it, but the Eastwood paint just looks better. It has a very factory look to it. When I reworked my engine compartment, I used the whole POR15 process, then Eastwood's black Self-etching primer, then Underhood black over it.

I have an extra can I'd be happy to sell to you for a better price. PM me if you want it. 1 can is plenty for the job.

DW
hi, do you have a picture of the final job? also which por15 did you use under it? the gloss one?
Old 6th-October-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
aron69nova

Nova(s): 69 Race Car, 66 Longroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddykane View Post
Anyone use either of these paints before on there firewall? whats the difference between Rustoleum Semi-Gloss black and Rustoleum Satin Black ? which one matchs better to the original appearce that was on the firewall? whats your experience with these paints? any ideas or help? thanks
This is satin gloss black thinned with (i think) acetone. Turned out better than I expected. As far as I can tell it turned out just like the factory intended. I shot it out of a touch-up gun. I'm satisfied with the result.

"Because Three Pedals are Better Than Two!"
Old 6th-October-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
WildBillyT

Nova(s): 1968 Nova SS
I've used Ruseoleum Pro Semigloss black and it came out great.
Old 6th-October-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
TomM

Nova(s): 1966 - Coupe
Quote:
hi , thanks. did you use a spray can or did you get it in a quart and shoot it out of a spray gun? also can you tell me which tread number in your link shows the exact satin rustoluem paint picture the best? thanks

Used it right out of the can. Start about post #9 and go from there.....it's about 5 bucks a can here......and I can touch it up as required.....

T,
Old 6th-October-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
bigdaddykane

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
I've used Ruseoleum Pro Semigloss black and it came out great.
hi, what is "Pro" eaxctly? i never seen pro paint by rustoluem. also would you have a picture of the area that you painted with the semi-gloss so i can compare it to the above pictures on Arons nova?
Old 6th-October-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
WildBillyT

Quote:
hi, what is "Pro" eaxctly? i never seen pro paint by rustoluem. also would you have a picture of the area that you painted with the semi-gloss so i can compare it to the above pictures on Arons nova?
Pro is their line of "better" product. I do not recall exactly what it contains, I think better solids and adhesion?

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=95

2177 is semi gloss. I'll look for a pic.
Old 6th-October-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
3DTim

Nova(s): 66 ProStreet-74 GTO
Rustoleum Satin Black is as about as close to GM as you can get. I have done a lot of original show cars and most of them have been done with it. I have shot it from a gun and out of the can and both seem to hold up about the same.
Old 7th-October-2009, 01:37 AM   #12
bigdaddykane

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillyT View Post
Pro is their line of "better" product. I do not recall exactly what it contains, I think better solids and adhesion?

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=95

2177 is semi gloss. I'll look for a pic.
this one that you used is only availble in a spray can right? i did not see it in quarts. you used the spary can i take it?
Old 7th-October-2009, 01:41 AM   #13
WildBillyT

Quote:
this one that you used is only availble in a spray can right? i did not see it in quarts. you used the spary can i take it?
Yup. Spray can. I've spray gunned the Gloss and Flat Pro though.
Old 7th-October-2009, 01:43 AM   #14
bigdaddykane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DTim View Post
Rustoleum Satin Black is as about as close to GM as you can get. I have done a lot of original show cars and most of them have been done with it. I have shot it from a gun and out of the can and both seem to hold up about the same.
yes, id like to get it close to the original GM look as possible. and i will be shooting it out of a paint gun with probably a 1.8 nozzle on the gun. should i use acetone to thin it a little? will the acetone make the paint more flat looking when fully dried?

also what type of primer did you guys use before spraying your top coat? is the rustoleum Stops Rust Clean Metal Primer good to use? it says on there wedsite that provides rust protection to clean or lightly rusted metal. Apply directly over rust to allow superb adhesion for finishes. Works with bare or previously painted metal. i only have some light rust here and there, no heavy rusting....what you think?
Old 7th-October-2009, 01:47 AM   #15
bigdaddykane

also would it be a good idea to spray my subframe and control arms with the same paint as my firewall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement