62-65 Fenderwell Headers - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st-August-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
raysanchez2003

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1963 Nova
62-65 Fenderwell Headers

What's up everyone!!! I got a 63 with a V8 small block chevy. I just picked up some used fenderwell headers for 100 bucks in pretty good condition. I was wondering how do i install these?? Where exactly do i cut out the fenders?? Are there any templates available or websites that show you how to install them?? Does anyone have pictures?? I also need pics of the way the header goes inside the fenderwell hooking up to the exaust. Thanks

Last edited by raysanchez2003; 21st-August-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st-August-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
onebadtwo

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 64
This is the best picture I have of mine. I set mine in and then dropped in the motor. The hole as you can see is the entire length from the shock tower back to the firewall and I'd say about 8-10" tall however, I don't think the hole needs to be quite that big. The collectors are very long as they meet the primary tubes inside the fender and turn under the car by about 6".
Old 21st-August-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
raysanchez2003

Nice looking motor. Thanks for that pic. Do i have to remove or lift up the engine to put the headers on??
Old 21st-August-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
6T6NOVA

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 66 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raysanchez2003 View Post
...... Do I have to remove or lift up the engine to put the headers on??
It depends on what is in the way on the drivers side. Like a Master Cylinder and Brake lines.

When I installed my Hooker Fenderwells I had to move the TEE where the Brake lines attach to go to the drivers front wheel. It takes time to move things and cut the metal out.

If done right the ENGINE can stay put. I remember putting mine in with the hood off. Then I started with collector going in first then twisting them around almost in a full circle. Then aligning the head flange up horizontal and sliding it down. NO SPARK PLUGS in the head.

Bryan
Old 21st-August-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
onebadtwo

I'm not sure about installing them with the motor in. I put them in before the motor went in, and they never came out until I sold the motor. I'd say to use good gaskets and re-torque them regularly.
Old 22nd-August-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
raysanchez2003

How big or what size do i cut out the holes for the headers to go through the fenders?? onebadtwo looks like he had to cut a pretty size out. I dont know even where to start cutting
Old 22nd-August-2009, 02:11 AM   #7
6NOVA4

Nova(s): 64 SS "street car"
these two pics should give you and idea. from the top down about half way is where I cut for my hooker fenderwells. And yes they can be installed with the motor in the car.

drivers side

passenger side. Here we had to cut alittle more for big block headers(which suck BTW)
Old 22nd-August-2009, 10:10 PM   #8
raysanchez2003

Thanks 6nova4 for those pics. that will really help me out. What should i use to cut the fenders?? Can i use a dremel tool?? Here are the headers i bought for only 100 bucks on Craigslist. I dont know what brand they are but I cleaned them up really good threw on some VHT High Temp primer and High Temp flat black paint. Here is a before and after shot of the headers. Has anyone ever used VHT High Temp paint for there headers?? It says to put them in the oven but mine dont fit in the oven. What happens if you dont bake them??
Before

After

Last edited by raysanchez2003; 22nd-August-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 23rd-August-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
onebadtwo

My Hooker Super Comps don't look like that! I have used the VHT on headers but I sanded them to bare metal and laid them in the sun until they were too hot to touch. I then rubbed 2 coats of a product called ospho and let them sit in the sun again. Then I finally hit them with 2 coast of the VHT paint. They were good as new for atleast 6 months on a daily driver.
Old 23rd-August-2009, 03:07 PM   #10
Deadly64

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1964 2D HT
Was it hard to get those coil overs in the front end. What ones are you using?
Old 24th-August-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
jarhead64

Nova(s): 63 sedan
Here's a link to the instructions for the Hooker Fenderwell's - http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...al/2214HKR.pdf
Old 27th-August-2009, 01:40 AM   #12
Iceman

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Chevy II
6NOVA4.
can you post pics of the coil over set up you do have in your car?

LD
Old 28th-August-2009, 02:40 AM   #13
lisandon95386

Nova(s): 63ss
look like doug thorley headers,they fit good
heres some pics. of husler headers i just got.
with that set the #8 pri. tube is not right in the way to hookup the heater hoses on the firewall,hookers are in the way of the heater pipes comeing into the engine compartment i ran those dougs on my 63 ss/ fit great plus the stock heater works with no mods to the heater nipples pm me and i will tell you what you need to do to get them on the easy way.the hole for them, were to cut,the beast way to run your brake lines.theres more to it than just bolting them on,the alt.bracket for long/short water pump ect. ect. its worth it in the long run.better than under chassis headers IMO no burned spark plug wires unlike under chassis headers. PEACE
don

Last edited by lisandon95386; 28th-August-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement