Rotor phasing & high speed retard????? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th-June-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
Baddbob

Title: Nova Guru
Rotor phasing & high speed retard?????

Two things I don't have any clue about, can someone explain the how and why's of rotor phasing and also what and how a high speed retard works and why? I assume the high speed timing retard helps with the extra load placed on the engine in high gear? Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th-June-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
The Big Al

Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Rotor phasing can only be achieved when running a crank trigger.

High gear retard. In high gear if you can have a retard it allows you to run more timing in the low gears for better acceleration. In high gear under heavy WOT load is when the most cylinder pressure and chance of detonation possibilities.

Al

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old 10th-June-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
SlickVic107

Nova(s): 72 Nova 355 9.91@134
You should always rotor phase, even if you don't use a crank trigger. Drill a hole in an old cap next to the number one socket. Shine the timing light in the hole and make sure that the rotor is dead on the socket. Not just before it or after it. Thats when you see rotor tips burned on one end or the other. If you phase it you won't have that burning because the spark is not leaving that small of an area (the corner). Now, your cap must be adjustable in order to correct this or very soft hands. I have not been able to really do it without an adjustable cap, like the MSD pro cap. It has two set screws that allow you to turn the cap and not the distributor.

As for high speed retard, never has never worked on my cars. Higher timing produces power in the low power band and in the high power end if you retard the timing it supposedly allows the motor to produce more power because your not fighting the turn of the crank by firing so advanced before TDC. Tried it on several of them. I have friends with 7.50 dragsters that have the 7al3's with it built in and they all run zero chips in them so it won't retard. Only time ive really seen it work is in forced induction and they start retarding due to boost not rpms.

87 Cavalier, 383 9.27@142

Last edited by SlickVic107; 10th-June-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10th-June-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Baddbob

This all makes sense- Thanks!!! An adjustable rotor sounds like it would be the easiest or if the pickup could be repositioned appropriately I bet that would also work. I bet some of the cheap import distributors may be way off. Good information, thanks again, Bob
Old 10th-June-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
levisnteeshirt

Nova(s): shopping for the 6th one
seems like to me

high speed retards were more popular with small cube motors turning some real RPM ,, 8000 +

seems like it might be worth checking though ,, just as a safety to make sure you don't hurt a piston
Old 10th-June-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
69LT1Nova

Nova(s): 1969 Nova, grandma fresh.
Wow... sounds a lot like this...

Build:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=101770
LT1 baby!
Old 10th-June-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
dave's 62

Title: Nova Senior Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69LT1Nova View Post
Wow... sounds a lot like this...

what the hell did thet guy say?
Old 10th-June-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
69LT1Nova

Nova(s): 1969 Nova, grandma fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave's 62 View Post
what the hell did thet guy say?
Exactly.

Build:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=101770
LT1 baby!
Old 10th-June-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
The Big Al

Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickVic107 View Post
As for high speed retard, never has never worked on my cars. Higher timing produces power in the low power band and in the high power end if you retard the timing it supposedly allows the motor to produce more power because your not fighting the turn of the crank by firing so advanced before TDC. Tried it on several of them. I have friends with 7.50 dragsters that have the 7al3's with it built in and they all run zero chips in them so it won't retard. Only time ive really seen it work is in forced induction and they start retarding due to boost not rpms.
Running a glide? 2 speed transmission!

Engine load when using a glide is very even.

When using multiple gears the use of more timing in those lower gears works.

Al

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”
Old 10th-June-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
PldBryan

Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS 383
HA! I work for Rockwell Automation/Allen Bradley, that is the Retroencabulator.

That thing gets brought out all of the time. What is amazing is if you watch how much of that the guy is able to get through without a cut!
Muncie 4spd
F@&^ 9" Rearend
Old 10th-June-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
Baddbob

Thinking about rotor phasing.... I guess it would only work on a distributor with no mechanical advance or one that has been locked. Phasing the rotor when you lock the weight setup might be the easiest way. Change the timing and the rotor phaseing will need to be adjusted again. Am I right?
Or.... do you dial in your mechanical advance curve then just make sure when the advance is all in that the phase is correct??? I bet a person could use a small solenoid to make a high speed retard using the same principal that vacume advance uses to rotate the breaker plate? The switch would need to throw current to it through a window switch maybe so higher rpm isn't affected??? Interesting stuff...
Old 10th-June-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
SlickVic107

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Al View Post
Running a glide? 2 speed transmission!

Engine load when using a glide is very even.

When using multiple gears the use of more timing in those lower gears works.

Al
Never thought of it that way Al. Good point!

Old 10th-June-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
SlickVic107

Quote:
Originally Posted by PldBryan View Post
HA! I work for Rockwell Automation/Allen Bradley, that is the Retroencabulator.

That thing gets brought out all of the time. What is amazing is if you watch how much of that the guy is able to get through without a cut!
HA! Bad thing is I actually understand some of what he said! I work with AB PLC's all the time in my company's electrical switchgear.

Old 11th-June-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
Baddbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddbob View Post
Thinking about rotor phasing.... I guess it would only work on a distributor with no mechanical advance or one that has been locked. Phasing the rotor when you lock the weight setup might be the easiest way. Change the timing and the rotor phaseing will need to be adjusted again. Am I right?
Or.... do you dial in your mechanical advance curve then just make sure when the advance is all in that the phase is correct??? I bet a person could use a small solenoid to make a high speed retard using the same principal that vacume advance uses to rotate the breaker plate? The switch would need to throw current to it through a window switch maybe so higher rpm isn't affected??? Interesting stuff...

back to the top in hopes for more info
Old 11th-June-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
SlickVic107

im not sure if you could phase the rotor with a mech or vaccum advance. Never tried as all my distributors are locked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement