Mustang ii suspension - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th-June-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
MR G

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1962 WITH 383 STROKER, 1969 FIREBIRD 3
Red face Mustang ii suspension

Im thinkg of getting the mustang ii frint suspension for my 62 nova but dont know how much work is involved in the that. I went to a local junk yard and found a mustang ii with all the front suspension and rear suspension. I would like some info or pics on these set any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th-June-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
3DTim

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 66 ProStreet-74 GTO
And just way would you want to even do that? With the Bill II wright up telling how to do it with chevette rack. The churchboys kit that is on the market.
Old 8th-June-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
JRouche

Personally I wouldnt go with the junk yard MII parts. You will still end up having to press all the bushings out to replace them, you will want new bushings. New ball joints. Maybe a new rack and pinion steering rack. Steering arm ends.

And really, I understand cash is at a premium these day for all of us. But with so much available from the aftermarket dealers its really hard to beat the deals to be had. Most of the stuff you take from a scrap yard are gonna need to be replaced. So what you end up with usable parts are the upper and lower control arms which arent great and the K member maybe?? Not even trying to discourage you, just trying to throw some light at the subject. JR
Old 8th-June-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Rotorbolt

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 400 4dr sed
I would go the MII route. If you can get it at a reasonable price, grab all the front suspension and steering stuff from it. You can then go to sites like speedwaymotors.com and get the crossmember/rails front section and the 5 lug mustang rotors. plus any other rebuild piece you'll need. Even your local parts store will have rebuild parts for it.
Heidts and TCI also sell the MII crossmembers and components.
I'm putting a MII suspension in my 64 using a combination of stock junkyard parts, parts from local parts stores,parts from members here, parts from Heidts, and parts from Speedway.
You can get replacement parts easy for this style suspension from a variety of sources. If you go with the churchboys setup, you are stuck with one source if you ever need replacement parts. Same applies to whatever disk brakes you get for it. I recomend using stock 69-72 GM midsize style disks over fancy aftermarket disks like wilwoods. you'll be able to get replacement rotors , calipers and pads from just about any local parts store vs. one specialty source. I'm not saying these aftermarket options are bad products ( they are nice), I'm just a believer in being able to get replacement service parts locally when you need them. Especially if you plan on driving your car a lot.
I don't have a pic of the assembled suspension yet since i'm in the painting stage of all the components right now, but I'll post them when I get it together shortly.
Even if you decide not to go with an MII suspension, you should be able to sell off the stock front suspension pieces and maybe make some money off em to put towards what you decide to go with.
Old 9th-June-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
MR G

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1962 WITH 383 STROKER, 1969 FIREBIRD 3
YEA DOES ARE MY PLANS TO TRY TO SELL WHAT EVER I TAKE OFF THE CAR FU#$@!% IT IM GOING TO MAKE THE CHANGE TO A MUSTANG II SUSPENSION. BUT IM GOING TO NEED HELP FROM EVERYBODY ON THE SITE. ILL KEEP YOU GUYS UPDATED ON THE PROJECT.
Old 9th-June-2009, 11:53 AM   #6
Toxic

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 67 Nova, 69 Camaro Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuildm View Post
For $1824 you can have a brand new Heidts subframe with economy a-arms, 11" GM rotors, Camaro calipers, dropped spindles, brand new manual rack, sway bar and a stainless steel brake hose kit with free shipping. Add up what you would spend piecemealing it together. You will be supprised at how close the prices are.
Tim

I agree with Tim. I was going to build a C-5 front end but after doing some research. you can't beat Tim's deal. It's really good for what you get and his service is next to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement