Who's running a Holley with no choke horn? - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 2nd-April-2009, 12:04 AM   #16
71SS454

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 71 Nova 427 72 Ventura
On my Firebird I ran a 750 Holley that I litterally cut the choke tower off of. It turned out that with my drop based air cleaner, the lid was getting to close to the top of the choke tower and choking the engine when I put it on, so I got out the hack saw, pulled the carb, and cut it off at the track. I don't recommend doing it this way, but I did it in a pinch. I had to use this car for about 6 months as my daily driver in teh winter (ET Street's and all). With 11.5 compression, a huge cam, and 412 cubes, I'd fire it (it always started right away with 3 pumps of the gas), would hold the throttle at 2000rpm for a minute, then it was fine. It probably helped that it idled at 1200rpm. Now when I put this carb on my mom's 350, it takes like 3-4 minutes of feathering the throttle to get it to idle, but that engine idles at 850rpm. I guess it's just the nature of the engine.

As a side note, I've used a few Proform main bodies with very good results. Had nothing but issues with Demon's.

Good rock and roll music should corrupt the young, it should corrupt them enough to think for themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2nd-April-2009, 04:09 AM   #17
6NOVA4

Nova(s): 64 SS "street car"
funny thing about this. Got me thinking. On my stock 350 engine with 268 cam and performer and 750 vac sec it would idle cold. When I put the same carb on my LT-1 it idled but wanted to die till it got alittle temp. Same carb on my junk 350 would have warm it up in the morning for about 3-5 mins.
But my 406 with compression and roller cam and single plane intake with an 850 it would idle cold. Hell even my dual 660's on my tunnel ram on my 406 idled cold. I just redid a carb for a guy with a 400 and with a 750 proform body and it won't idle till it gets some temp. I don't know...I know engines need more fuel when cold, ergo the choke to cut off the air supply. Some chokeless carbs I've seen idle cold and some don't Maybe it has to do with the manifold crossover and having iron heads vs alum?

I say if ya can't hold your throttle at 15-1800 for 5 mins then get a choke. Your engine will like you better when its warmed up.
Old 2nd-April-2009, 06:33 AM   #18
slickman

Nova(s): 1972 Nova SS
I would be willing to bet that any engine that idles fine at 800 or so cold (with no choke horn), that carb is running rich. Side note, I'm running a proform base on my 650 and if I ever thought about changing the main body, I would try a proform.

Now a question, other then getting a main body with no choke horn, whats the reason to switching from the Holley main body to the proform?
Old 2nd-April-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
Baddbob

If the idle circuit is fat enough to let the car idle without a choke when cold then it's pig rich when the engine is warm-period. I've seen a few 750 double pumpers that acted that way.
Old 2nd-April-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
NovaResource

Nova(s): 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickman View Post
Now a question, other then getting a main body with no choke horn, whats the reason to switching from the Holley main body to the proform?
Adjustible air bleeds, down-leg boosters are 2 reasons for me.

Sorry, this is from a Ford site but it's a good article to read about the Proform main body conversion:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...uild/index.php
Old 2nd-April-2009, 10:44 AM   #21
The Big Al

Nova(s): 68ss, 70ss (SOLD)
Quote:
If you have a Holley HP carb or Holley HP center there is no advantage! NONE! In some cases IE: 850cfm it will be worse!

Proform does make a more universal part for multiple applications. Holley makes specific parts. More precise, and less cost effective.
Holley does not make a universal Vac secondary main body. Only a HP replacement part Big $$$$

The only aftermarket ready available center section from Holley is for a 4 corner Idle, Manual secondary 750/850 Part# 134-300S or C http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
The Holley unit is price competitive with the Proform units.
In my experience this is a better center compared to the Proform 67100C.
The Holley is the same center section used on the 750/850 HP Holley unit also comes as a kit, all gaskets (reusable), recomended jets, two sets of air bleads, nozzles installed, needed to make the change. The other main body's sold as replacement parts by Holley for the other HP models is not price competitive. The last 950cfm center I purchased cost me 200.00??

Proform units available.
CARBURETOR MAIN BODY - Carburetor Main Body 650 CFM; 700 CFM; 750 CFM; 800 CFM;
Manufacturer: PROFORM
Part#: 67100C

CARBURETOR MAIN BODY - Carburetor Main Body 750 CFM Vacuum Secondary Carb;
Part#: 67101C

CARBURETOR MAIN BODY - Carburetor Main Body 950 CFM;
Part#: 67108C

IMO
AL

“The bitterness of poor quality & Service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Last edited by The Big Al; 2nd-April-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 3rd-April-2009, 06:30 PM   #22
slickman

Nova(s): 1972 Nova SS
Well, I got it all dialed in now.. Got the idle all adjusted and new squirters.. I had to go up to a #40 squirter on pri and sec... Now there is no hesitation or stumble at all.. The carb is running great!!! Thanks for all the info guys!!

Last edited by slickman; 5th-April-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 6th-April-2009, 09:00 PM   #23
68chevyll

I agree with Al. Holley HP Main Body:
Old 7th-April-2009, 10:25 AM   #24
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie View Post
Quick fuel makes the bodys for proform, if you dont belive me call them and ask. So I would say they are not chinese junk since they are made right here in the USA in Bowling Green Kentucky!
I've dealt with them a few times and was never told they had their own foundry. I know they handle all of the tech support for Proform's carb stuff so I'm sure they've got some sort of agreement worked out. More likely involving $$$$$.

Quote:
Well, I got it all dialed in now.. Got the idle all adjusted and new squirters.. I had to go up to a #40 squirter on pri and sec... Now there is no hesitation or stumble at all.. The carb is running great!!! Thanks for all the info guys!!
Glad to hear it!!
Old 7th-April-2009, 11:24 AM   #25
TY70SS

Nova(s): 70SS nova
Quote:
When temps are below say 50, do you have issues with keeping it running till it warms up?
Yep.I usally keep the rpms up to 2000 for about 2-3 minutes then let it idle.
Old 24th-April-2009, 10:40 AM   #26
1meanchevy

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1966 SS 327 ProStreet 67
[QUOTE=D-Man;1064113]I've dealt with them a few times and was never told they had their own foundry. I know they handle all of the tech support for Proform's carb stuff so I'm sure they've got some sort of agreement worked out. More likely involving $$$$$.

Well, got my Proform part today..... yeah...a huge MADE IN CHINA sticker on it Doesn't mean I'm not going to use it though, they got some people over there with some nimble little fingers man. LOL
Old 25th-April-2009, 08:11 AM   #27
MarkW

Title: Nova Senior Member
Anyone who is contemplating cutting off their choke horn please restamp the carb list number somewhere else. Once you lose that number it can be very hard to find out what you have. There are many variations with the same bore size but different calibrations.
Old 25th-April-2009, 08:14 AM   #28
Tommy

Nova(s): 1968 ChevyII SS
Good idea... I had a nice looking Holley with no choke horn and no numbers anywhere.. I sold it at a swap meet because I didn't want to deal with that very problem.

Tommy