Weld in mustang ii crossmember - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th-February-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
boot85

Title: Nova Junior Member
Weld in mustang ii crossmember

I have a 62 2d HT and I am thinking about using a mustang II weld in crossmember on the original frame rails. If anyone has done this could you give me any pointers, pictures would be great. I tried a search on the site but it didn't bring up what I was looking for. I have a doner front stub with all the parts so I don't need the kits that websites sell, just the crossmember and lower A arms. Which is why I am looking to go in this direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th-February-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
62civa

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 62 Coupe
First off, welcome to the site! As you hang around here, you will find all kinds of infomation and help.

I am not sure about this, but I think that those weld in MII cross members are normally used with a retangular tube frames, not with a sheetmetal style front ends like you have on a first generation Nova. I could be wrong. Maybe someone else will chime in here with more information for you. I used a Heidt's front clip on mine. Here is a link to my photo bucket account. If you look on the left side of the page, you will find "folders" with various photos in them. It might be helpfull for you.
www.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa

Ron
Old 6th-February-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
K-Man

Title: Nova Junior Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by boot85 View Post
I have a 62 2d HT and I am thinking about using a mustang II weld in crossmember on the original frame rails. If anyone has done this could you give me any pointers, pictures would be great. I tried a search on the site but it didn't bring up what I was looking for. I have a doner front stub with all the parts so I don't need the kits that websites sell, just the crossmember and lower A arms. Which is why I am looking to go in this direction.
I've seen this done in the past and I believe there was a thread on here at one time. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my 65 later this year. If I dig anything up I'll post a link.

Here's a good start: http://www.heidts.com/pdf/IN-071.pdf

Last edited by K-Man; 6th-February-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 6th-February-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
Chevy Kid

Nova(s): 1964 SS
I saw a guy do this to his 63 convert. and it was really nice. He smoothed the shock towers to make it look factory. Sorry, no pics.

Tim

"Pay attention, there's gonna be a test later"
Old 6th-February-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
64PRONOVA

Nova(s): 64SS & 65SS
Here's mine. It has an Arizona Nova Mustang II x-member welded into the stock front subframe with the factory shock towers removed.

I installed mine back in 1994 before any of the clips were even out yet.

It has tubular control arms, Heidts 2" Mustang II drop spindles, Koni adjustable coil-overs, and Wilwood Dynalite II disc brakes.

It retains all of the factory mounting holes so the fenders and hood hinges all bolt-up perfectly exactly like they did from the factory. I also added support tubes that are welded to the frame rails and extend through the firewall and tie into the 12 point roll cage for added strength. You can either remove the factory brace in front of the rack or leave it in place.

My 1965 Nova SS
Old 6th-February-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Pragmatist

I think this was more common before everyone started making front clips. Today you can buy a jig welded clip for under $400.00 last I checked and you don't have to worry about heat moving anything or even having to measure. I love to weld but I know when I'm beat!

Old 6th-February-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
bigblockwagon

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 64 wagon
I installed heidt's crossmember on stock framerails, and it worked fine. They do give you instructions when you buy the crossmember
http://www.heidts.com/pdf/IN-071.pdf
The finished track width is a little narrower than stock which helps clearance at front of wheelwell. I used mostly ford factory suspension from the wrecking yard 74-78 mustang II. I used this: http://www.heidts.com/index.cfm/page...rod/prd115.htm
so I could use ford lower control arm I thought the aftermarket system using an A arm with a tube and gusset looked flimsy. I have fenderwell headers, I don't know how my setup would work with undercar headers.

Have fun, Scott
Old 6th-February-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
64PRONOVA

Nova(s): 64SS & 65SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argrandawg View Post
I think this was more common before everyone started making front clips. Today you can buy a jig welded clip for under $400.00 last I checked and you don't have to worry about heat moving anything or even having to measure. I love to weld but I know when I'm beat!
I'd like to see a link to a decent jig-welded clip for under $400 since just the x-member costs that. I've never seen a clip that cheap. All of the jig-welded bare Mustang II clips for 1st & 2nd gen Novas that I've seen are closer to $1,000.

My 1965 Nova SS
Old 8th-February-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Rotorbolt

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy II 400 4dr sed
Heres' mine. Its a Heidts weld in crossmember with the lower arm tubes/ gussets add on option for their lower "economy" style control arms.
This was installed in my ex-boss's 66 wagon project originally when I worked in a auto restoration shop several years ago. I recently ended up with it and am in the process of installing it in my 64. Go to the Heidts web site and you can download and printout the instructions to give you a better idea of whats involved in installing one of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement