1966 l-79 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova
 
Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Originality


StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th-January-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
customproducts

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 45013
Nova(s): 1966 L-79 SS Matching #'s
Posts: 166
1966 l-79

Gotta question, is there anything on a l-79 that makes it a real l-79? like any real way of telling it is for sure ? in the vin number ? suspension ? anything ? i thought just the motor made it a l-79 and like i said we have a matching numbers car, any help is greatly appreciated so thanks in advance...
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 29th-January-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
CdnL79 Registry
 
CdnL79 Registry's Avatar

Title: Moderator
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Abbotsford B.C.
Nova(s): 63 SS Convertible
Posts: 8,193
There is nothing in the VIN or on the cowl tag that will tell you a car is an L79. There were no PG L79's. All were 3 or 4 speed manuals, had 12 bolt rears and factory dual exhausts. The suffix codes on Chevy II L79 327 engines will end in ZG, ZH, ZI, or ZJ. Most of them were ZI's. L79's also had 3/8 fuel lines entering the engine compartment under the battery tray. This is not a sure fire ID of an L79, because many 327's had this fuel line and many more have been converted. There are also untold numbers of L79 clones. Original paperwork or other documentation tells the real truth.

Bob
__________________
62 Acadian cvt.-Sold
66 Cdn. Nova SS L79-Sold
70 Nova SS L78-Sold
The Cdn. L79 Registry
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-January-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
TomsNova
 
TomsNova's Avatar

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Aurora, NY
Nova(s): 66 Nova L79
Posts: 124
I also have a true L79. I know this because I purchased from the original owner that has verified everything that was explained in the last post. The other L79 sign is the rear exhaust hangers for the rear resonator mufflers. Mine had them in place bolted to the rear angled frame support. I do believe
and looking for verification that the rear exhaust came out at a differant point at the rear of the vehicle because of the resonator mufflers.
Tom
__________________
66 Nova SS L79, under restoration.
63 Corvette Split Window, restored.
68 Corvette roadster, restored
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-January-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
customproducts

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 45013
Nova(s): 1966 L-79 SS Matching #'s
Posts: 166
Thanks for the replies guys, been a big help here with some of my questions, here is a pic of the block...

  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-January-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
CdnL79 Registry
 
CdnL79 Registry's Avatar

Title: Moderator
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Abbotsford B.C.
Nova(s): 63 SS Convertible
Posts: 8,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by customproducts View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, been a big help here with some of my questions, here is a pic of the block...
This appears to be an L79 Chevy II block. The 'F' is for the Flint, Michigan engine plant, the '01' is January and '12' is 12th day. The ZI denotes an L79 block. The sequence starting with 'N' is for Norwood, Ohio where the car was built, and the following numbers should match the last 6 digits in the cars VIN.

Bob
__________________
62 Acadian cvt.-Sold
66 Cdn. Nova SS L79-Sold
70 Nova SS L78-Sold
The Cdn. L79 Registry
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th-January-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
CdnL79 Registry
 
CdnL79 Registry's Avatar

Title: Moderator
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Abbotsford B.C.
Nova(s): 63 SS Convertible
Posts: 8,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsNova View Post
I also have a true L79. I know this because I purchased from the original owner that has verified everything that was explained in the last post. The other L79 sign is the rear exhaust hangers for the rear resonator mufflers. Mine had them in place bolted to the rear angled frame support. I do believe
and looking for verification that the rear exhaust came out at a differant point at the rear of the vehicle because of the resonator mufflers.
Tom
Here is a pic of an installed L79 resonator showing the angle and tail pipe extension. The exact angles are outlined in the 1966 Chevy II Assembly Manual. If you don't have one of these, I suggest you get one. It'll make your restoration a whole lot easier. They are available at most classic car part stores and dealers and frequently on Ebay.

Just for info, the Chevy II L79 resonators are not reproduced, although we've been hearing for some years that they will. Do not be fooled by the Chevelle resonators which are one inch longer.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08412.jpg (99.1 KB, 124 views)
__________________
62 Acadian cvt.-Sold
66 Cdn. Nova SS L79-Sold
70 Nova SS L78-Sold
The Cdn. L79 Registry
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th-January-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
TomsNova
 
TomsNova's Avatar

Title: Nova Junior Member
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: East Aurora, NY
Nova(s): 66 Nova L79
Posts: 124
This is a great picture because my numbers look exactly the same. What I mean is that a die set was used to stamp the right side block numbers (Location, Date and what the block was) then when the cars order sheet came through with the vin number at the factory of origin it was hand punched in before assembly. That is so cool because Corvette used a die set for both number stampings.
Tom
__________________
66 Nova SS L79, under restoration.
63 Corvette Split Window, restored.
68 Corvette roadster, restored
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th-March-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
Bigfoot

Title: Nova Newbie
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast
Nova(s): Not at present
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnL79 Registry View Post
Here is a pic of an installed L79 resonator showing the angle and tail pipe extension. The exact angles are outlined in the 1966 Chevy II Assembly Manual. If you don't have one of these, I suggest you get one. It'll make your restoration a whole lot easier. They are available at most classic car part stores and dealers and frequently on Ebay.

Just for info, the Chevy II L79 resonators are not reproduced, although we've been hearing for some years that they will. Do not be fooled by the Chevelle resonators which are one inch longer.

Bob
So if only L79 cars had the resonators then they would be the only cars with the "clip"/hangar to support the resonator right?
Is this a detail easily "reproduced" or if I see it I'll know I'm looking at a "Real-Deal" car?
Does this carry over to a 67 L79 as well?
Thnx
Bill
__________________
67 RS/SS 4spd. vert Royal Plum w/parchment
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th-March-2009, 01:34 AM   #9
CdnL79 Registry
 
CdnL79 Registry's Avatar

Title: Moderator
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Abbotsford B.C.
Nova(s): 63 SS Convertible
Posts: 8,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot View Post
So if only L79 cars had the resonators then they would be the only cars with the "clip"/hangar to support the resonator right?
Is this a detail easily "reproduced" or if I see it I'll know I'm looking at a "Real-Deal" car?
Does this carry over to a 67 L79 as well?
Thnx
Bill
As usual, it's not that simple. The 283/220HP Chevy IIs also had dual exhausts with resonators. Single exhaust 327/275HP models had a resonator, too. Not sure whether the 283/195HP cars had one or not and don't know if the few 1967 L79s had them.

The resonator hangers are reproduced and we keep hearing that the actual resonators will be, too.

Bob
__________________
62 Acadian cvt.-Sold
66 Cdn. Nova SS L79-Sold
70 Nova SS L78-Sold
The Cdn. L79 Registry
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th-March-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
Bigfoot

Title: Nova Newbie
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Northeast
Nova(s): Not at present
Posts: 15
Damn!

Thank you for the granular detail. THese things take time dont they.
:-)
__________________
67 RS/SS 4spd. vert Royal Plum w/parchment
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call out to 1966 L79 with A/C owners NovaResource Originality 28 2nd-April-2009 12:26 PM
1966 rear end ratio's? Mad_Max Originality 3 15th-July-2007 11:21 PM


Site best viewed set to 1024 x 768.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 PM.

Custom Designed for Steve's Nova Site by: vBSkinworks

 
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Lt

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.