L79 "Nickey" Nova - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > General > Originality

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th-January-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
TomsNova

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 66 Nova L79
L79 "Nickey" Nova

OK guy's, I know i'm new to this L79 nova that I am restoring but I was watching the Barrett Jackson auction and seen the 66 L79 go for $85,000 and the quote from the anouncer was that "it was an L79 Nickey Nova and that they made around 5,000 of them" They actually made 5,481 of the L79. Are they called "Nickey Nova's" and why?
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20th-January-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
mrrepodude

Title: Nova Guru
I am NOT an expert on this by any means, BUT only the ones sold by NICKY Chevrolet got the name if not mistaken.

Jim
Old 20th-January-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
franksL79

Nova(s): 1966 L-79 SS canadian doc
L-79

This car was aparently sold through Nickey, and had a window sticker on it with bogus information stating a few options that were not offered on a Chevy II. They were probably installed by the dealer, then the owner made up a repo window sticker. A couple of my freinds were at the auction and called me to inquire about a few things, the car was missing alot of the L79 parts, but someone wanted it!!. In the day these were cheap cars that nobody had a second thought about origionality, and did what they had to to make them fast, cut,weld,drill.I know a guy who had an origional 66 L-79 Acadian brand new, and the storeys he has on the car are unreal.One of the first things he did to it was gears, headers,and slicks.within the first 3 months the engine was taken out and modified,the rear end had the perches ripped off, the windshield started to seperate from the top RH corner, the glove box would fly open going into 3rd gear. It was a never ending deal to keep it going, it was sold about 2 years later never to be seen again.
Old 20th-January-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
WILMASBOYL78

Post Nickey Nova...

Nickey Chevrolet (with backwards K ) was one of a number of high performance Chevrolet dealers from back in the day. They were in Chicago and well known to enthusiasts back then....other dealers like Gibb, Yenko, Berger and Dana also did hi-perf modifications to factory cars. There were also several independent shops like Motion and Dick Harrell who did this kind of work as well. A number of other dealers were part of the "network" for some of these dealers and sold their cars/products. The cars that were sold and/or modified by these kinds of places are very much in demand by collectors today. The name adds a special value...real or perceived...depending upon your view point, to the cars. As far as this particular car being a true "Nickey Nova"....I will leave that to others who have more first hand knowledge. Hope this helps clear things up for you....good luck.

wilma
Old 20th-January-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
pauls l79

nicky nova

an ss car with dog dish hubcaps ? thats news to me
Old 20th-January-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
CdnL79 Registry

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 63 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsNova View Post
OK guy's, I know i'm new to this L79 nova that I am restoring but I was watching the Barrett Jackson auction and seen the 66 L79 go for $85,000 and the quote from the anouncer was that "it was an L79 Nickey Nova and that they made around 5,000 of them" They actually made 5,481 of the L79. Are they called "Nickey Nova's" and why?
Tom
No, of the 5481 L79 Chevy II's built in 1966, this is the only one I've ever seen promoted as a Nickey L79. There may have been a few others, but not many. As has already been mentioned, there are some serious questions about this car. What appears to be a bogus GM window sticker is one of them. In addition to spelling errors, there are all kinds of options listed that don't even apply to 1966 Chevy II's, like a/c delete (a/c was not standard equipment, so there was no delete option).

At best, this car was ordered as an L79 (the POP has the name of a different ordering dealer) and went to Nickey for some additional goodies and modifications that changed it considerably from it's original state. There is some indication it may not even have the original block. IMO the B-J bidders got sucked in with the Nickey name and somebody spent twice as much money as the car was really worth.

Bob
The Cdn. L79 Registry
Old 20th-January-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
lisandon95386

Nova(s): 63ss
i was at b/j when the car was in the stageing lanes,it had all this nicky this and nicky that,looked like a reg. l79 to me,it did have repo bumpers on it,car was hit in the rear at one time rear panel below trunk was changed out,nice car anyways,l79 guys what is so special about this NICKEY L79 thats so differant than reg. l79 cars
don
Old 20th-January-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
brewwagon

Nova(s): 65 acadian canso sd 2drht
the real nicKey nova

http://www.nickeychicago.net/vehicle...131&page_id=11

http://shop.dickharrell.com/secure/i...roducts/23.jpg

brewws

http://www.chevconnection.com/images...661%20nova.gif

Last edited by brewwagon; 20th-January-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 21st-January-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
lisandon95386

Nova(s): 63ss
someone posted the window sticker from the b/j car,its in the first/second gen forum under how many l79 cars exsit post,take alook at the post,break down the window sticker
don
Old 21st-January-2009, 08:09 PM   #10
kwhizz

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 66 SS 66 Sport Cpe 70 SS
Here's the window sticker.......

Ken
Old 21st-January-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
1963wagonman

Nova(s): alot
That window sticker is equivalent to a 3rd graders Crayola crayon copy of the Mona Lisa.

Barrett Jackson needs to become a lot more educated on the products they sell.I know this may seem like a difficult task with the many makes and models……

But come on……With the millions they make,they can hire an expert for each of the most popular makes and models……And correct many of the problems that have been happening…
Old 21st-January-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
1963wagonman

Nova(s): alot
That window sticker makes me laugh.....

$85,000.........what a disaster!
Old 22nd-January-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
TomsNova

Nova(s): 66 Nova L79
Thanks Guy's, that is some great stuff! That helps so much
Tom
Old 22nd-January-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
66nogo2

Nova(s): 66 L30 Sport Coupe
That window sticker is why the bidders get to enjoy the open bar
Old 22nd-January-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
CdnL79 Registry

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 63 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963wagonman View Post
Barrett Jackson needs to become a lot more educated on the products they sell.I know this may seem like a difficult task with the many makes and models……
But come on……With the millions they make,they can hire an expert for each of the most popular makes and models……And correct many of the problems that have been happening…
It is very clearly stated that Barrett-Jackson takes no responsibility for claims made by sellers. It's no different than buying a car from a dealer or privately from an individual. It's up to the purchaser to do their homework and be totally knowledgeable about what they're buying, and that's the way it should be.

Bob
The Cdn. L79 Registry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement