2" Lowering Blocks or 2" Lowered Leafs - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova
 
Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis


StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th-December-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
62civa
 
62civa's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (15)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saugus CA
Nova(s): 62 Coupe
Posts: 5,252
2" Lowering Blocks or 2" Lowered Leafs

Right now, my car is mocked up with 2" lowering blocks in the rear. Up front I have a Heidts clip with coil overs. The car is sitting pretty close to where I want it in the back, but with the 2" lowering blocks, there is not a lot of space between the lower shock mounting plate and the ground. I am leaning towards putting on a set of Caltracs, but they hang down at least another 2" or 3" below the shock mounting plate. Has anyone here at SNS used leafs that are 2" lower than stock? Who sells them? and what other pros and cons should I be thinking about when deciding between usning 2" blocks or a set of 2" lowering leaf springs?
Thanks
Ron
__________________
My 62: www.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 25th-December-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Sooner1
 
Sooner1's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (10)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MIDWEST
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62civa View Post
Right now, my car is mocked up with 2" lowering blocks in the rear. Up front I have a Heidts clip with coil overs. The car is sitting pretty close to where I want it in the back, but with the 2" lowering blocks, there is not a lot of space between the lower shock mounting plate and the ground. I am leaning towards putting on a set of Caltracs, but they hang down at least another 2" or 3" below the shock mounting plate. Has anyone here at SNS used leafs that are 2" lower than stock? Who sells them? and what other pros and cons should I be thinking about when deciding between usning 2" blocks or a set of 2" lowering leaf springs?
Thanks
Ron
caltrac sells a -2.5 inch split mono leaf vto lower your car. johnh with a blue 73 bb nova has them.
you seem to have the cheapest way to go for now unless you are willing to spend a little money. i thought i could just use the leafs- but it turned out that i needed the caltrac bars to mount the shocks as well.
__________________

'66 Hard Top
'67 Hard Top
'72 Nova
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th-December-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Nova 404
 
Nova 404's Avatar

Title: Supporting Vendor
iTrader: (11)
Status: Online
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pleasant Hill
Nova(s): 1967 Nova SS
Posts: 5,840
If you decide to use lowering blocks make sure the traction bars you choose will not be lower than the lip of the wheel.NHRA rules state nothing can hang below the lip of the wheel.Reason is in in the event of a flat tire the traction bar will hit the ground before the wheel possibly causing loss of control.I removed my lowering blocks and used dropped split monos to achieve the same height.
__________________
Member of the NorCal Brotherhood!
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th-December-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
62civa
 
62civa's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (15)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saugus CA
Nova(s): 62 Coupe
Posts: 5,252
Thanks for the answers guys. I'll measure to see how low the Caltracs will sit in relation to the bottom of the wheel. Does anyone know if the lowered leafs start off as the same length as standard leafs or do they start off as shorter springs. In other words, if you measured around the length of the spring, from eye to eye do they measure the same or do the de-arched ones measure longer? Will the shackels (in my case, sliders) be located any differently? If I had my current springs de-arched, the distance between the spring eyes would increase right? I have already located and welded in my sliders and I do not want to have to move them further back.
Ron
__________________
My 62: www.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
weebetruckin
 
weebetruckin's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (6)
Status: Online
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Concord, Ca
Nova(s): 70 Nova 63 Wagon (sold)
Posts: 1,588
Having been looking for 2" lowering blocks but having trouble locating anyone that carries them. Any suggestion?
__________________

Sawzall syndicate

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm113/weebetruckin/
Duane
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
Sooner1
 
Sooner1's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (10)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MIDWEST
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62civa View Post
Thanks for the answers guys. I'll measure to see how low the Caltracs will sit in relation to the bottom of the wheel. Does anyone know if the lowered leafs start off as the same length as standard leafs or do they start off as shorter springs. In other words, if you measured around the length of the spring, from eye to eye do they measure the same or do the de-arched ones measure longer? Will the shackels (in my case, sliders) be located any differently? If I had my current springs de-arched, the distance between the spring eyes would increase right? I have already located and welded in my sliders and I do not want to have to move them further back.
Ron
id call calvert - they are fairly good at answering these questions.
regarding what you asked about the springs:

in theory, LOWERED calvert split mono would have less of an arch but the same length- so they can still fit the stock mounts/shackles.

quick question:
are your existing springs- stock- if so, im wondering just how much sag they have in them?
before the split monos- i loved my cars stance- so i bought calvert -1's thinking they were lower than stock springs. they ended up being 2inches higher- so i put ~1inch lowering block on it.
it still sits ~1/2 inch higher than id like it- but im pleased overall.

my point being- you may not need -2.5 springs if your springs are already sagging a lot now.

i plan to put my moroso trick springs on tomorrow- if so, i will post a pic of its stance.

steve
__________________

'66 Hard Top
'67 Hard Top
'72 Nova

Last edited by Sooner1; 27th-December-2008 at 11:33 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
ioldsnut
 
ioldsnut's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (1)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Climax, NC
Nova(s): 68' SS LT1 w/ T56
Posts: 1,085
Hey Weebe.... I got mine at Advance Auto Parts and I think any AutoZone has them too...
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
62civa
 
62civa's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (15)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saugus CA
Nova(s): 62 Coupe
Posts: 5,252
My springs are stock replacement monos from Calssic industies. They have been on the car for about 2 years. I don't think they have sagged any, other than the normal settling With the 2" lowering blocks, I like the rear ride height. I have 2" dropped spindels up front on a Heidts clip with coil overs. Overall I want the car to sit pretty low. I'm working on the rear end today. Once its back in the car, I'll make some measurements to see how far the traction bars will hang down. I'll call Calvert racing on Monday.
Ron
__________________
My 62: www.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
Sooner1
 
Sooner1's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (10)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MIDWEST
Posts: 2,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62civa View Post
My springs are stock replacement monos from Calssic industies. They have been on the car for about 2 years. I don't think they have sagged any, other than the normal settling With the 2" lowering blocks, I like the rear ride height. I have 2" dropped spindels up front on a Heidts clip with coil overs. Overall I want the car to sit pretty low. I'm working on the rear end today. Once its back in the car, I'll make some measurements to see how far the traction bars will hang down. I'll call Calvert racing on Monday.
Ron
edit:
can you post a couple pics the back and side of your car?
are you planning to race it?
if not, you might not really benefit from the split monos- just good rear shocks
+/- the caltrac bars.

some people have issues with the front of the caltrac scraping- but caltrac has tried to remedy this with a low profile piece- basically just removed the bottom hole off the mount.

not uncommon for people to have ~2-3 inches from the ground.
i will try to measure mine tomorrow.

steve
__________________

'66 Hard Top
'67 Hard Top
'72 Nova

Last edited by Sooner1; 27th-December-2008 at 05:25 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Raymond
 
Raymond's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (58)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Plains,Pa.
Nova(s): 1964 SS (sold)
Posts: 1,743
If you're interested there is a member who is selling Landrum leafs for $75 + shipping..................they will lower the car! Look in the for sale section. Roger Bentley 734 699 9196...........call him.
__________________
Ray

Last edited by Raymond; 27th-December-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Addition
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
62civa
 
62civa's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (15)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Saugus CA
Nova(s): 62 Coupe
Posts: 5,252
Thanks Ray. I sent him a PM asking about the springs specs.
Ron
__________________
My 62: www.photobucket.com/albums/c231/62civa
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
weebetruckin
 
weebetruckin's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (6)
Status: Online
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Concord, Ca
Nova(s): 70 Nova 63 Wagon (sold)
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioldsnut View Post
Hey Weebe.... I got mine at Advance Auto Parts and I think any AutoZone has them too...
Do they include the extended U-bolts? I will try and call tomorrow.
__________________

Sawzall syndicate

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm113/weebetruckin/
Duane
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 10:37 PM   #13
ioldsnut
 
ioldsnut's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (1)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Climax, NC
Nova(s): 68' SS LT1 w/ T56
Posts: 1,085
Yeah Weebee... long "U" bolts, everything you need... If I remember,, I think they were only around 30 or 40 bucks...
  Reply With Quote
Old 27th-December-2008, 11:20 PM   #14
ddoyel
 
ddoyel's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (0)
Status: Offline
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ontario , CAL
Nova(s): Son's "72" ex 6 now v8, 7
Posts: 2,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioldsnut View Post
Yeah Weebee... long "U" bolts, everything you need... If I remember,, I think they were only around 30 or 40 bucks...
Do you have any pics of yours installed? What size wheels are you running?
__________________
When people fear govt, there is tyranny; when govt fears people, there is liberty.
T Jefferson
  Reply With Quote
Old 28th-December-2008, 11:05 AM   #15
weebetruckin
 
weebetruckin's Avatar

Title: Nova Guru
iTrader: (6)
Status: Online
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Concord, Ca
Nova(s): 70 Nova 63 Wagon (sold)
Posts: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioldsnut View Post
Hey Weebe.... I got mine at Advance Auto Parts and I think any AutoZone has them too...
I would like to install 225/40 tires with 18" x 7" rims do think I will have a clearance problem with the lowering blocks installed?
__________________

Sawzall syndicate

http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm113/weebetruckin/
Duane

Last edited by weebetruckin; 28th-December-2008 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added to the post
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2" lowering springs or 2" lowering spindle sal0327 Steering, Suspension, and Chassis 1 15th-July-2008 03:54 AM
Lowering Blocks Again But A Little Different JRD Steering, Suspension, and Chassis 1 23rd-March-2008 06:30 PM
2" rear lowering block for a 63? Irie Steering, Suspension, and Chassis 14 6th-February-2007 02:05 PM
Lowering blocks on a 66-67 Jimmac Steering, Suspension, and Chassis 6 18th-July-2006 01:03 AM
Lowering Blocks and Traction Devices Scooter Steering, Suspension, and Chassis 16 27th-April-2006 12:01 PM


Site best viewed set to 1024 x 768.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Custom Designed for Steve's Nova Site by: vBSkinworks

 
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Lt

Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.