Floor patch panel thickness? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Body and Interior

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st-December-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
raymonde

Title: Nova Newbie
Floor patch panel thickness?

I am going to be making some floor patch panels for my 64 sedan and I was wondering what gauge of steel people were using? I have some 20 gauge mild steel, will this be thick enough for the floor just above the tranny hump and to smooth the firewall? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st-December-2008, 02:15 AM   #2
JRouche

Title: Nova Guru
Well. Im a lil over kill. But I used 16ga for EVERYTHING. The entire floor including rear tubs, trunk, firewall and inner fender wells. It is heavy I imagine. But it welds really nice and forms ok.

The hardest part was the tranny tunnel. It has some odd bends. Not just a simple curve. So I have this home made 50 ton press I made and I used. I made a upper and lower form for it to shape the tunnel. I pressed in the first curve, and strapped it with ratchet straps to hold the shape. Then moved down the panel abit and pressed in some more curve. And applied more straps. So on and on till I had the curve I wanted and about eight straps holding the shape. Then I welded in some steel angle inplace of the straps. Moved it to the car and welded it in place then cut out the metal straps. Its solid and looks good.

16ga is polly over kill. I can rap on my floor, tranny tunnel or tubs with a hammer and it just sounds solid.

And the extra weight isint noticed here. I have yet to drive it down the street proper, but I have tooled it around the neighborhood and the car feels TOO light. LOL Ok, the engine helps But I like 16ga sheet for the pan and anything that is subjected to the the road hazards. My lil tank JR
Old 3rd-December-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
tnblkc230wz

Nova(s): 1971 Nova
16 guage may be over kill in some areas, but that is what I would use for large areas of the floor and other major structural areas. If you have a small hole to patch, you could use your 20 guage. It is a lot easier to work with.
Old 3rd-December-2008, 01:33 AM   #4
JRouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnblkc230wz View Post
16 guage may be over kill in some areas, but that is what I would use for large areas of the floor and other major structural areas. If you have a small hole to patch, you could use your 20 guage. It is a lot easier to work with.

And yer right, 16ga is too heavy to patch into the stock floor. It would just look odd too. What are the stock floors? Prolly 18 ga, maybe 20. Easier to butt weld similar thicknesses of metal for a correct look.

Though, I have removed my door handles and locks and butt welded in 16ga steel for the patches, but mainly cause thats what I have on hand. But it does take more heat to do it and for body work less (heat) is better there.

Guess it depends on what you have at hand. I have prolly three 4x8 sheets of 16ga still after doing the car and so thats what I use.

Whats nice about it too is its great for making enclosures, such as battery boxes, ECM boxes, fuel cell enclosures. Its stout, so anything that is exposed to the road debris it is good. And boxes that dont need any frame work. Just seam welding and its solid.

Ok, I love 16ga LOL I love stainless more!!! Wanna hear about some neat stainless parts. JR
Old 3rd-December-2008, 05:04 AM   #5
raymonde

Title: Nova Newbie
well I have both 18 and 20 guage on hand, but I think that I will use the 18 guage. The reason that I was curious about 20 guage was that the combo shear , break, and roller that I have is only rated for 20 guage. Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement