Ford solenoid with MSD IGNITION - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13th-November-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
chevbombs

Title: Nova Senior Member
Ford solenoid with MSD IGNITION

Does any one have a diagram or point me in the right direction on how to hook up a ford solenoid on a 63 nova. All the diagrams I see are with a regular 12 volt coil system. I'm starting to have hot start problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13th-November-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Mike Goble

Title: Nova Guru

Hook it up like this.
Old 13th-November-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
NovatoriusRex

Nova(s): 67 Chevy II Nova Hardtop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goble View Post
Hook it up like this.
When hooked up/wired that way, isn't the Ford Solenoid a bit of overkill? Wired that way, just about any relay would be adequate, and probably cheaper.

I want a new duck. One that won't steal my beer... - Weird Al
Old 13th-November-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
chevbombs

Well my mini starter only has two(2) stubs... one for the battery and the other one for the ignition wire so I dont have the one from the (I) on the starter to the coil.

Last edited by chevbombs; 13th-November-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 14th-November-2008, 12:59 AM   #5
levisnteeshirt

Nova(s): shopping for the 6th one
i would ,,,

Fenderwell headers will also cure your hot start problems but you will have to remove your heads or engine and cut your fenderwells and re-route some brake lines to install them . You might make some kind of heat shield with a piece of tin between the headers and the starter and make sure none of the pipes are touching the starter. I had a regular set of Headman headers on my 67 and I went through several solonoids until I gave up and got a set of fenderwell headers and never had this problem again.
Looking at the wiring diagram provided by the moderator and realizing i'm not good at uploading drawings ,maybe i can explain how I would hook up a hot start system. I think I would connect a jumper wire from the battery connection at the mini starter solonoid to the coil post for the mini starters solonoid. Connect the cable from the battery connection of the starter to one battery post of the Ford solonoid and connect the opposite battery post to the pos + battery terminal using apropriate cable. Using a meter , find the wire going to the starter that stays energized when the ignition switch is turned on , connect that to your " ignition on " wire for your MSD. Find the wire that is energized when the ignition switch is turned over to the starter position and connect that to one small terminal post on the Ford solonoid. If it only has one small terminal and its mounted on something grounded to the chassis , your done. If it has 2 small terminal posts , connect the one remaining to chassis ground. It should start and provide power to your ignition

Last edited by levisnteeshirt; 14th-November-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 14th-November-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Mike Goble

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovatoriusRex View Post
When hooked up/wired that way, isn't the Ford Solenoid a bit of overkill? Wired that way, just about any relay would be adequate, and probably cheaper.
The original question was:

"Does any one have a diagram or point me in the right direction on how to hook up a ford solenoid on a 63 nova"

If you can go to your local boneyard and get a nice one for $2, it sure beats Radio Shack, and you might find something else out there you can use. If you have a Bosch relay sitting around, wire it like this:

He goes on to say:

"Well my mini starter only has two(2) stubs... one for the battery and the other one for the ignition wire so I dont have the one from the (I) on the starter to the coil."

If it's presently working with the new starter, you don't need the third wire. Some ignition switches provide 12v to the ignition during the start cycle and some don't.

If you need the third wire, a Ford relay has the 'I' contact built in, so you just hook up your 'hot coil' wire to this point. This provides the full 12v for starting just like the terminal that's missing on the new starter.
With an MSD system, you would connect this wire in parallel with the small red wire that provides the 12v control voltage to the box. If it's a ready-to-run distributor, hook it in parallel with the main power lead.

In regards to jumping the GM solenoid and using the Ford relay to switch all the current, it's quite a bit more wiring and may cause the following situation:

Why does my starter seem to “run on” after the switch is released?

This is a common complaint on Ford permanent magnet starters, although it can occur on any permanent magnet starter in the right conditions. This situation develops when the ignition terminal on the starter is “jumpered” to the battery terminal on the starter and a remote solenoid is used. Permanent magnet starters can actually produce power if they are driven from an outside source (i.e. the starter will act like an alternator once the engine fires and starts spinning). The current produced in the starter for this second or so will flow from the starter’s battery terminal to the starter’s ignition terminal and hold the solenoid in. This will cause the one to two second delay in the solenoid release and an irritating noise. The solution is to wire the starter per the instruction sheet, which will ensure that the ignition switch terminal goes dead the instance the key is released.
Old 14th-November-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
chevbombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by levisnteeshirt View Post
Fenderwell headers will also cure your hot start problems
I do have a fenderwell hooker headers on it. Its starts up fine in the mornings or just when its cold but when it gets hot it takes a while for it to start up. It does not click, it just turns over slowly like it needs more power... being said it does have a new battery 1,000 CCA and 800 CA....could it be that is just to high of compression motor? 11-1.... I have new 1/0 welding cables for power and also for ground.

Last edited by chevbombs; 14th-November-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 14th-November-2008, 08:39 AM   #8
Too Tall

Gobles...what a man. Great diagrams. One of our forum illuinati installed a remote "F" solenoid for me. Cured hot start problems 110%. Done with! It is a great fix and I think is something guys were doing back inna day.
Old 14th-November-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Mike Goble

Have you checked all your connections? Battery is grounded directly to the block? Measure the voltage drop from the negative terminal of the battery to the block while you're cranking the starter.
Old 14th-November-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
chevbombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goble View Post
Have you checked all your connections? Battery is grounded directly to the block? Measure the voltage drop from the negative terminal of the battery to the block while you're cranking the starter.
mike all my conections are new and it was doing this before I upgraded to welding cable. My ground is conected directly to the block. I did not know that I can check voltage drop on the negative side. I'll do that when I get home
Old 15th-November-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
levisnteeshirt

Nova(s): shopping for the 6th one
you might ,,

you might fix up a separate switch for the MSD , crank the engine then turn on the ignition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement