Body mount subframe rot? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st-October-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Jonesy71

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 71 Chevy Nova, 350, black on black
Body mount subframe rot?

Hey All,

I have a 71' 2-door and just got a brand new full front suspension polyurethane rebuilt kit from PST with new front shocks. Just tore down my subframe and was stoked to paint/rebuild the front end but I found lots of rot around the body mount areas on the subframe. Also, there seems to be rot in the welds that hold the pieces of the subframe together. The welds have alot of holes in them, looks like swiss cheese. Hello monkey wrench ! Any suggestions on how to fix this? Has anyone welded in the subframe mount reinforcing brackets which i've seen in the YearOne catalog etc? Also, should I consider grinding down all the welds holding the subframe together and rewelding them all? I'd rather not have to get a replacement subframe or travel to have to pick up a used one. I appreciate any feedback or opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31st-October-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
69LT1Nova

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1969 Nova, grandma fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy71 View Post
Hey All,

I have a 71' 2-door and just got a brand new full front suspension polyurethane rebuilt kit from PST with new front shocks. Just tore down my subframe and was stoked to paint/rebuild the front end but I found lots of rot around the body mount areas on the subframe. Also, there seems to be rot in the welds that hold the pieces of the subframe together. The welds have alot of holes in them, looks like swiss cheese. Hello monkey wrench ! Any suggestions on how to fix this? Has anyone welded in the subframe mount reinforcing brackets which i've seen in the YearOne catalog etc? Also, should I consider grinding down all the welds holding the subframe together and rewelding them all? I'd rather not have to get a replacement subframe or travel to have to pick up a used one. I appreciate any feedback or opinions.
If your subframe mounts are in bad shape, take the time to do the reinforcing brackets. I have not done this personally, as my mounts were in good shape to begin with.

The welds on the rest of the frame are not pretty. It was this way from the factory - they didn't take a lot of time to weld the frame together. You can fill weld in the areas that have holes, but I would not suggest grinding down the original welds and re-welding. Also, I would not suggest grinding down the welds where you patch the holes - grinding welds actually weakens the weld strength.

Build:
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=101770
LT1 baby!
Old 31st-October-2008, 03:23 PM   #3
acd65post

Nova(s): 65 Two Door Post
When I had my 68 Camaro I had the same problem. I found some big washers that the mount fit snugly in to and the welded the washers in place. This was long before they had any repair kits.
Old 2nd-November-2008, 12:20 PM   #4
paddy71

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1971
Here are mine after they were repaired

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/l...a/IMG_0091.jpg
http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/l...a/IMG_0096.jpg

You can buy several kits for around $80. Just remember if you weld them on top they will act like a shim and you will have trouble with your alingment and putting your frontend back on.
Old 2nd-November-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
327heaven

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1971 Nova. Frame (s) off
subframe mounts

I agree. There are plate steel peices you can buy to replace rusted body mount holes, or just go and buy some stock steel and make yourself. Thats what I did. I have pictures if you would like to see them. I , too, had some spotty welding on my subframe, but I just ground down the bad spots and re-welded. I spent some time grinding down crappy welds from the factory...(where was Quality control?)
Old 2nd-November-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
JRouche

Now theres rust and RUST! LOL I like to use an automatic center punch (spring loaded) and hit every rusted spot a few times till I hit real metal. If its too rusted for that I grab the hammer and solid center punch. I like to see just how deep the rust is. I purposely try to break through if possible. I hit hard till I hit pay dirt. Either metal or air. All the while looking for the underlying metal.

If you find its actually mostly surface rust, and the structural integrity is fine I would wire wheel with a knotted wheel all the way through the orange to shiny metal and weld over.

But if you get into some spots where you can hammer a chisel or center punch through then its time to cut out the cancer and weld in new steel. JR
Old 10th-November-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Jonesy71

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 71 Chevy Nova, 350, black on black
Thumbs up Subframe input

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I like to get a general consensus on things before I make a decision to prevent the inevitable bad decision that happens way to often . I did consider welding in washers but will wind up getting the kit with the new plates to weld in. I will cut out the rot instead of welding right over to avoid the "shim-effect" paddy71. By the way, thanks for the pics, they look good. 327heaven, do you think you could post those pics you said you have? I will spend alot of time welding in the slop that GM calls welds on the subframe. Thanks for the input everyone, im off to check the YearOne catalog for the plates!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement