Bell housing bolt removal - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th-October-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
chevythunder35

Title: Nova Newbie
Bell housing bolt removal

Can ya tell me the easiest way to get the top two bolts on top of the trans out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 5th-October-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
burty

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): Ain't got no posts!
I have found that standing on drivers side of car using your LEFT hand palm towards motor take out the passenger side bolt. Standing on passenger side of car use your RIGHT hand palm towards motor for the drivers side bolt. Of course I'm 6'5" tall so you maybe can't reach.

Two toughest bolts on the car as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. Put Free Bird and Stairway to Heaven on the boom box. By the time those two songs are over your done.....Burt.
Old 5th-October-2008, 02:58 AM   #3
fosheezie

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1966 ss
if your removing the trans i usually just lower the trans just a little (after you remove the crossmember) and use a long extension and an impact wobble socket... just make sure you watch the clearance between your distributor and firewall when you are letting it down

and dont forget the southern rock music like he said... it has been scientifically proven by scientists that lynard skynard cuts removal time in half
Old 5th-October-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
Paul Wright

Yeah, when I worked at the Chevy dealer working flat rate that was the hot trick. A 3 foot 3/8 drive extension and a 9/16" impact wobble. Use the 3/8 drive since it's smaller and the impact wobble is less floppy than the chrome ones.

I had a small 3/8 drive Ingersol impact and the above set up and it wouldn't take more than a minute to get all the bolts out. I'd start at the top and work down. Take the lower ones out last because they are supported by the alignment pins. If you take the top ones out last, all the weight is hanging from those and you could break the case.

Remove the torque converter bolts and everything else first because it's coming out and you don't want to be removing things when that baby is loose.
with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive...
like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
Old 5th-October-2008, 04:47 AM   #5
jlowery78

Nova(s): 1969 454 BB Turbo 350
I always take them out or screw them in with the dizzy removed. It's a lot easier.
Old 5th-October-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
David_D.

Nova(s): 1974 Nova Custom Hatchback, 1972 Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Wright View Post
Yeah, when I worked at the Chevy dealer working flat rate that was the hot trick. A 3 foot 3/8 drive extension and a 9/16" impact wobble. Use the 3/8 drive since it's smaller and the impact wobble is less floppy than the chrome ones.

I had a small 3/8 drive Ingersol impact and the above set up and it wouldn't take more than a minute to get all the bolts out. I'd start at the top and work down. Take the lower ones out last because they are supported by the alignment pins. If you take the top ones out last, all the weight is hanging from those and you could break the case.

Remove the torque converter bolts and everything else first because it's coming out and you don't want to be removing things when that baby is loose.
That's how I do it (well, used to until I installed the CSI Tranny shield). Now I have access holes in the firewall.

74 Custom Hatchback
10.343@127.86
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carburetors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement