Chevy Nova Forum banner

spindle differences... 1st-2nd genner vs 3rd genner

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  red7218 
#1 · (Edited)
without having to take the time measuring i thought maybe someone could help me...

here's a pic of a 1st-2nd genner 5 lugger spindle and a 3rd genner spindle...

what's the difference between the two ? are they interchangeable ? i see the difference in thickness of the ball joint bosses. i haven't checked the upper/lower B/J pin diameters.

See less See more
#2 ·
without having to take the time measuring i thought maybe someone could help me...

here's a pic of a 1st-2nd genner 5 lugger spindle and a 3rd genner spindle...

what's the difference between the two ? are they interchangeable ? i see the difference in thickness of the ball joint bosses. i haven't checked the upper/lower B/J pin diameters.

It looks like the lower ball joint is located differently relative to the spindle centerline. Start measuring and let us know.

Four lug ('62 '63) spindles have different hole centers for the steering arm than later spindles.

#4 ·
Upper ball joint hole is the same.
Lower ball joint is larger dia on the third gen.
Global West made a kit for years to adapt the 3rd gen joint to the early lower control arm. There is a ring that gets welded to the arm.
I'm not sure if they still sell the kit. It was about $80-$100 and included the ball joints.

#5 ·
they look so close i thought there might be a situation like you're referring. i'm wondering if that didn't come from a circle track shop originally. those guys think of all kinds of conversions... Mopar ball joints is common. weld the ring into the control arm and screw in the joint. ream the stud holes in the knuckle and there ya go...

thanks Ken.

#7 ·
The kit I'm referring to actually used the larger Nova/Chevelle lower ball joint.
If I remember correctly the ring welded on to retain the joint.
This was way before there were so many disc upgrade kits like there are now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.