Chevy Nova Forum banner

Looking to do an auto to 4 speed conversion, what do I need?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Dawg 
#1 ·
I'm looking to swap my TH-350 out for a 4 speed, probably saginaw. I'm guessing Ill need a new trans crossmember, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, clutch fork, linkage, shifter, etc... Could some of the 4 speed guru's let me know whats involved for the conversion. Any reputable sites selling good repro 4 speeds? I'm a broke student so saginaw is probably the only way to go.

-Thanks, Ryan

#2 ·
The cross member will work, you will need a bell, flywheel and clutch of course. SS396.com sells a nice conversion kit for your linkages and pedals. All you gotta do is cut the floor for your shifter and it's done. Easy as pie.

Done it myself as well. Best mod yet.

#12 ·
SS396.com sells a nice conversion kit for your linkages and pedals.
My only question: how well does the conversion kit from SS396.com fit?

I've heard TONS of horror stories on how some vendor was selling a conversion kit and yet did not fit the vehicle they said it was supposed to.

#4 ·
You will probably need the correct Z-bar, and also the "ball?" that the Z-bar pivot's on. Someone else may be able to explain better. I know this was a hold up when converting my 67 Chevelle from auto back to 4-speed manual.

Good Luck... and agree,, best thing ever did to the Chevelle as far as fun-factor.

#5 ·
if i were you i'd try and get a muncie,even if it takes you a while to save up,i've had a couple saginaws and was very disatisfied with them,sloppy,long throw,and geared for a station wagon,even if you just get a good housing with salvagable gears,you can rebuild it yourself,they'r not that hard the come right apart like cake,and yes you will need a Z bar and ball stud,this is a ball with threads on the end like a bolt,that threads into the block oposite the Z bar wich bolts to the outside of the frame,opisite the bolt holes for the auto shift bracket,you will also have to tap the holes as they are not right now,you will also need the adjustable rod for the Z bar and the spring that holds it in place, once the Z bar is in run the main pedal rod threw the fire wall(uninstall the plate over the hole 2- 1/4" screws)and hook it to clutch pedal with cotter pin,also you might want to get the boot that goes over the rod and sicures to the fire wall so rain doesn't get in the car, and pedals i would buy used off of ebay or somewere,i have 2 sets on my wall in my shop if your enterested,and they are also easy to put in,you just unhook the clip and push out the pin for the rod assymbly from the master cylinder,un bolt the master cylinder and pull it away from the fire wall a couple of inches so its out of the way,then just uninstall the clip on the main shaft rod holding the pedals in,push out the rod,the pedals will drop and push the 4 speed ones into place,they will lign up the same in the bracket,push the pin threw and reinstall the clip,o and you also have to unbolt the plastic button for the brake lites and reinstall when done--Dan:turn:

#10 ·
i can see that maybe the saginaw would work ok,i never liked them,but to each their own,what it all boils down to is your budget,your own labor is free,plus you get a chance to learn from these adventures so if your budget ever broadens out,then the experience becomes priceless--Dan:thumbsup:

#11 ·
4 Speed

70ss350, I just purchased a New muncie for my 70SS and will do a Review of it as soon as I get it in.The Guy's name I purchased it from is Jeff and his number is 262-893-9812. Give him a call. He may be able to hook you up with something. He answered many quetions for me without any pressure to buy.He does all high end Muncies and can even match your car year. Tell him steve from RI sent ya. I also purchased a repo bellhousing and sent it back the next day. It looked like it was molded out of play doe.I went the extra and bought a Used GM 621

Good luck,

Steves70SS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.