Chevy Nova Forum banner

Auto to 5 speed conversion

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  voodoochikin04 
#1 ·
Im going to do an auto to 5 speed conversion in my 64 SS. I understand that the manual trans bellhousing in the novas is unique to the nova. Will the bellhousing z-bar ect. from a 6 cylinder 3speed nova work for a 4 or 5 speed setup?
Tim

#2 ·
the center hole on the Sixer bellhousing is smaller than on a V8. the amount of torque generated is/was a concern of mine so i opted for a scattershield.

the runout of the center hole in relation to the centerline of the pilot bushing is of great importance on some of the 5speeds also. if you're looking at a Tremec TKO series transmission they want the runout to stay within .005. offset alignment dowels are available so once set up with a dial indicator you can zero in the bellhousing to get runout within specs. take a look in the "Originality Forum" a sticky, "the Web-Link Library" in that thread under Transmissions you'll see a few links for 5 speeds... take a look at their tech pages for more info on what's recommended for a TKO install... floor mods will also be required to fit the transmission in the 1st genner's tranny tunnel.

here's an album that might help you...

http://rides.webshots.com/album/507270287QnWxoa

hope i helped :D

#3 ·
i was veiwing a site where guy had a 62 nova.. he had a 3spd bellhousing, and he put a 4spd in it.. he just had the hole machinged out bigger... its a cheap way to go.. if you cant afford the right one, or a stamped steel one.. good luck..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.