Chevy Nova Forum banner

OD To 4 Speed conversion

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bill Cole 
#1 ·
Hey guys.. I have a challenge and a few questions. I have been searching but did not find some of the answers I need to make the commitment.

First I have a 67 SS with buckets with a non Nova 327 and try and keep my car as stock as possible. I have a 2004r OD unit in the car now.. I REALLY want a 4 speed. I know that the repro factory 4 speed consoles have recieved mixed reviews so that was the first item I am going to get to look at the quality. I will then move to everything else. I have collected some Muncie info (from the site thank you all) such as the need for the 5 mounting holes for the factory shifter ect. I will certainly need more information at a later time but for the basics... If I may ask a few questions??

1. Crossmember and driveshaft. Do I need to get a 4 speed specific crossmember or will the stock one from my old powerglide work?
2. I have been searching Year One, Classic Ind. and NNN sites and it seems that all the parts are available. Even the stock shifter and such. I see bellhousings on E-bay regularly. Any parts I should be worried about?
3. My car came with a PG. Any fabrication needed to make this conversion other than the hump? Any firewall issues? I know with my non nova block I need the special t-bar bracket. I know I need passenger side spedo? Anything else?
4. Engine ballance is a big concern. I currently have a very small engine vibration. I do not know much about balancing. I had a motor for my vette done and I know that all the rods and pistons were weighed. I assume this is to ballance it. Can I just put a flywheel on this thing? How does the harmonic balancer come into play? Any issues here?
5. Anything else I should know?

I am sure this has been discussed so please send any threads as needed. I certainly know it is not fun posting the same information over and over again. My main goal here is to just get a clear picture of what is required. While I do not know much about balancing I am actually very good with my car and have done all the work on it except the bottom end.

Finally, I will certainly be getting rid of my 200r4 package. It is a BowTie level 2 with a new 2300 stall. It has 4000 miles on it. It works great!! Very nice unit. Reason for selling is I shattered my kneecap in 2000. Since I have not been able to drive a clutch. In Oct. I had another surgery and wouldnt you know it is a miracle. I am back to 95% and it is as if I never had the injury. This is a gift to myself. Anyway, I would like to offer this up to a nova guy first in hopes I can help one of my nova brothers out that has been looking to put a 200 in. I will be selling it off as a complete package hopefully. Trans, converter, console, shifter with shiftworks and backup switch, TV made easy system with Holley plate, Dipstick, temp gage, brake switch, BowTie crossmember... Everything to bolt in and install.. Anyone thinking of such a conversion and more importantly what would a package like this be worth? I have my thoughts but would like yours... My budget for the 4 speed is $2500 figuring $1200 for the trans and console alone.. Off base?

Guys I know this is a lot of information I am looking for and you are all busy. I do appriciate your efforts as always. Any info is helpfull. You guys are the ones that really know these cars and the little things that can get a guy in trouble.. Thanks Much!! Bill :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Slickman, I was actually planning on getting everthing new. One item in that E-bay sale caught my eye is the rear main seal is a 2 piece...

Question 6. Do I need to change my rear main seal to another style? Do not know if I have a one or two piece now...

Thanks

#4 ·
I am in the process of doing the same thing with my 67. I went with a Muncie. Make sure that you get a 309 Bellhousing because the 383 has to small a diameter center hole. It can be machined out if you want but better to get a 309. Also make sure you get the correct size flywheel and clutch. Smaller than normal.(10" if memory serves me right.) I bought all of my linkage and brackets from Chevy2Only. Everything fit real well. Shifter linkage is very tight in the tunnel. Good luck with the conversion. I still have a little to do but getting there.

#7 ·
That is a nice package.. is the 3978764 tail shaft the correct one? Does it have the 6 bolt holes for the shifter? Cannot see from the picture. That tail is also a fine spline. Is that the same as I am using on the 200?

I will be posting the 200 here first when I am ready. As noted earlier I have the complete package with everything for interior and exterior.

Argrandawg, Please PM me for details if you like. Thanks Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.