Chevy Nova Forum banner

4 speed conversion

20K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tnblkc230wz 
#1 ·
So after much deliberation, I have decided to go with a 4 speed conversion from a th350, because of the lower cost and ease of installation, as opposed to a 5 or 6 speed. Now my question is this:

What 4 speed would be my best bet to put in the Nova? What is the strongest 4 speed I can find?

I plan on using this conversion kit:
http://www.ss396.com/mm5/merchant.m...=FMCK-69S&Category_Code=MANUALTRANSCONVERSION

Along with undecided misc parts, but I would want to know what tranny is the strongest on that will be able to use this kit? I have a 350 sb but will likely convert to a sb 396 at the same time

#2 ·
Me personally, I like the Super T-10. Very good trans and all parts are still available for it. I picked up my Super from a 1980 Corvette. Paid 400.00 for it. Also bought another one out of a 78 Trans am for 400.00 as well. Muncies are ok but are getting really pricey. Super T-10 has the 400 size output and fine spline input.

#3 ·
If you're looking to buy a new 4 speed you can't get any better than this for a street car :
http://www.autogear.net/pdfs/fulltransmissionbro.pdf
http://www.autogear.net/literature3.htm
If you're looking for used, either a Muncie or a T-10 will work about the same and have about the same strength. You have to make sure which versin of whic transmission you get though. Muncie made 3 versions, M-20, M-21, M-22. One thing that irks me when looking at ad's for Muncies for sale, just because it's a Muncie dosen't mean it's a "rock crusher". Those are only the M-22's which are the strongest of the 3, but the new Auto gear M-22 is stronger and cheaper than an original. The M-20 is a wide ratio with a 2.52 first gear. It works well with numerically lower gears like 3.73, 3.55, 3.42, 3.32, 3.08, etc. The M-21 is a close ratio with a 2.20 first gear. It works well with 4.11's, 4.56, 4.88, etc.

Now the T-10 came in many versions as well with different first gear ratios, so you have to watch which one you get. You can double check all the ratios by counting teeth and dividing just like how you do in a rear end.

Now one thing to remember as for strength. The deeper the first gear ratio in the transmission, the less torque handling capacity it has. A Muncie with a 2.20 first gear is stronger than a Muncie with the 2.52 first gear.

#4 ·
I am about to do the same swap on my dad's 69 Camaro. We found a correct M20 Wide Ratio since he is running 3.55 gears. The cool thing about the swap on Novas and Camaros is that you can buy every part new and the Z bar bracket and linkage holes are already there.

#5 ·
A Muncie or a super T-10 will hold up fine to these engines. They both come in different ratios which will be dictated by your intended use. If you are primarily streat drivingwith less than 4:10 gears. Stick with the 2.64 T-10 or 2.52 Muncie. If you are as low as 3.08 gears. Go with the 2.64 or 2.88 T-10. Also, avoid the 65 and earlier Muncies and non-"Super" T-10's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.