Chevy Nova Forum banner

Factory Rochester Question / L-48 Question

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  lostnsc 
#1 ·
I have been going thru my engine - checking all the numbers - so far, the block, the heads, the intake/exhaust manifolds all check out to be date code and part number correct - all except the carb - my car is an early 70 production date car - it is a 4 speed - but the number on the carb is 7029202 - first off, I am weighing my odds, that GM would have had a left over carb laying around and put it on the car - but not only is it a 69 Nova carb, but its also for a auto... so, whats my chances its a factory mistake, vs it being a close enough replacement during the restoration?

ALSO - does anyone have the exact engine specs on the 70 L-48? valve sizes, cam specs - crank, rods etc etc

#3 · (Edited)
rochester carb decoding

702 lates 60's

9 1969 year

2 - Quadrajet (4 bbl) Federal standards

0, 1, and 2 all indicate Chevrolet

2 Transmission
Even numbers - Automatic Transmission
Odd numbers - Manual Transmission

so what do we have?

a late 60's 1969 year chevy 4bbl auto tranny carb.....

its not the original carb.....

#4 ·
well, I guess I need a 7040203 or 7040213 - I don't know the difference between the 2 - both are 49 state carbs, but they don't show if they are specific to the 300 horse CNJ motor - anyone have any ideas?

#5 ·
Rochester number 7029202, used in Chevy II with 350/255 & 300 HP engine with automatic transmission. Carburetors can be dated up to 3 months before engine build, if car was a early producton date, first couple of months of 1970 this could be correct for the above listed car for the 1970 model year.

#6 ·
yeah, I figured it might be correct for a March 5th build date, but its not right for a 4 speed - so - I found a new one, just waiting on a price

#7 ·
It's not the right carb, plain and simple. Tell us what the correct number should be, and someone will have a connection to one. They made thousands of these carbs, and they are not too hard to find. I doubt it's a factory screw up. After 37 years, there's a much higher chance that someone changed the silly thing, and upon resto they snagged the closest thing. No biggie!!

The build year starts in Sept. so for the 3 month rule (if there is one) to take effect, your car would have to be built in Sept-Nov of '69 - not Jan-Mar of '70.

M

#11 ·
Rochester Carburetor

Try this person, I've purchased two carburetors from him, a Rochester and a Carter and they both were perfect. He rebuilds and colorizes them back to orginal finish. His e-mail is, Novaman23@verizon.net, and his name is Norm. I can supply his phone number if needed, just tell him what part number and date code and he will tell you what he can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.