Chevy Nova Forum banner

4th Generations Pictures and Story

230K views 309 replies 159 participants last post by  Armychief2009 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I would love to see and here about all yalls 4th generation projects. This includes Projects, Race cars/Drag cars, Finished Cars, any 4th generation pictures or storys are welcome. Im sure the rest of the members would love to read stories and/or see pictures of your car.

Thanks,
Chad

#29 · (Edited)
Jade's 76 SS

I bought the car for $200 early in 2003. I always wanted a car I could build myself, and it was a good project to get my mind off my divorce at the time.

It didn't have a motor or tranny and was only missing the headlight bezels and a headliner. The body was in great shape with only minor rusting around the passenger rocker panel, driver side floor board, and lower core support.

I immediately had a vision of my dream car, not knowing at the time how difficult that would be to achieve with original parts. I set out to rebuild my car from the ground up. Her name is Jade, because of the color scheme I had in mind for it, and now my daughters name.

I originally had some help when I started. They painted the engine compartment Red and began the body work, but when I realized they were more interested in doing their way, and parts and supplies came up missing, I decided that it was time to do it myself if I wanted it done right.

I added all new suspension including 6 leafs in the rear, fully rebuilt 350 (2nd motor- cracked the block on the 1st one) with Comp Cams Magnum Series 292 cam and valvetrain, Edelbrock RPM Airgap Intake and Holley Street Avenger 670cfm carb, Summit 50,000volt HEI distributor, Proform Electric Water Pump, and Derale 4,000cfm dual Electric fan and , Summit headers and dual 40 Series Flowmaster Mufflers through Summit X-pipes.

I also added power steering and brakes (originally had manual), and all new rotors and drums.
I still have the original 7.5" 10-bolt 2.73 rear-end which I'm hoping to swap to an 8.5" 3.42 or 3.73 gear. A Ford 9" would be nice, but don't have the knowledge or money to convert it.

For the interior, I removed the front bench seat and added racing buckets. Since I have swapped to 70 Camaro buckets. I also redid the gauge console and will probably redo it since I'm not satisfied with it:

I'm still in the process 3 years later, and still having fun building it. It still needs new paint, but I'm saving that for last. I'm living by the rule: "Take your time, and get 'er done right!"

It's definitely been an adventure so far with many ups and downs, but I know the finished product will be well worth it when it's done. I definitely have to finish it, cause I can't sell it (More in the engine alone than what I can buy a complete SS for, lol).

#30 · (Edited)
Well, where to start..... " new to the list but not to Nova's "

http://home.stny.rr.com/dragonmotors/79nova_snow.JPG

there's the current car, a 1979 2 door, 355 LT1 (an original 1970 corvette LT1 block,with 11.5:1 pistons,currently running dart sportsman heads,performer RPM intake and 750 Edelbrock carb,TH350, and a 5:13 12 bolt rear, best ET 12.24 @ 118 .
Has not been out on the track all year due to other commitments,etc, maybe next summer.
My current project is a 'low-buck' G-machine based on a 'restified' 1976 Nova Medalist. more info and maybe a few pics to follow.

I've been a 4th generation Nova fan forever (15+ years), and always took some ribbing for likeing those ugly new models :) , even from my brother who only likes 1973-4 big bumper cars ( he has 3 now).
have owned many, some beaters (75 Nova S),some other projects / race cars (75 hatchback,327,Th350 with brake,5:31's), and many parts cars,etc along the way.

I also currently have a 1977 Nova Rally that I purchased in 1990 with 54,000 miles - 305, TH200,no guages,bench seat,open rear - currently has just over 100K on it, been kept up and stored winters,etc but Ny rust is taking it's toll - doors and rear wheelhouses all rotted out, as well as the front floorpans and dash top .
being the rally package was a 'decor' option more than performance, been thinking of parting it out - save the rally equip for a possible down the road project, then use the freshly rebuilt (springs,shocks,urethane bushings,etc) front end for my 76.
Just hate to see it go, after 15 years it's sort of part of the family, so sad to see it in such bad shape.

Well, enough rambling for tonight, glad to find the board, and look forward to getting to know my felow 75-9 Nova nuts !

~ AL

#31 ·
"I've been a 4th generation Nova fan forever (15+ years), and always took some ribbing for likeing those ugly new models :)"

I know what you mean, when I first got into Nova's (I was mostly into 50's/early 60's cars) when I was 15 (only 5 years ago :cool: ) I had one of the only 4th Gen Nova's around. The only 2 door that I knew off...a few rusty 4 doors were around but that was it. Nobody around my area really fixed them up. Only cars 74+ chevys that got fixed up nice were monte's and camaros. I have see more and more around lately though. They are catching on. I like 4th gens because they look nice, have alot of potential...and are relatively cheap if you can find them because not many people fix them as compared to other cars.

BUT anyway. Thought id put up a few newer pics of my car since my last post didnt have a good pic of it currently. I also put a stock 350 4 bolt and a TH350 with a B&M shiftkit in...since my old engine got a bad case of the rattles. The rest of the specs are the same. It needs a good bath though, I just sprayed it off to get some of the pine needles off of it....oh what I would give to have a nice shop or garage to put it in.

#34 ·
Here is my 77 project car.

I have had this car for roughly 15 years. Bought it at a party for $300.00
Had fixed it up back in 92. Got in a wreck. I will post the first picture later. Rebuilt from wreck, shortly after that the clear coat yellowed. Sold it a buddy of mine, he kept for 10 years, did nothing to it, bought it back from my buddy in pieces. Am now rebuilding.
Trying to do a frame off without actually doing a frame off. I'm not rich and I enjoy doing all the work myself. Built the motor from scratch, it is a '74 350 4bolt main. Built for 300hp, going to be a weekend cruiser. It will be silver with blackout trim and racing stripes on hood and trunk. Wheels will be 2000 SS Camaro wheels 255/45/17. Have billet wheel adapters to do the offset. They look bitchn. Custom Sir Micheal's taillights, shaved, fiberglass smoothy bumpers. Kind of a retro modern look? I think is looking good so far. Here is a link. Hope you like....

http://www.picturehosting.com/gallery.php?u=garmo&g=1977-nova

#39 ·
welcome Lior.
for some reason when i think of Israel i always picture in my head people riding bikes, and NOT driving american iron.
hopefully one day ill be lucky enough to visit Israel. and if im really really lucky ill catch the eye of one of those beautiful women of Israel you got over there. id trade you an american woman for a woman from your country any day lol.

#40 ·
New guy

What's going on guys I am new to this site so forgive my mistakes. I am currently stuck in the sand box they call Iraq. Back home I have a 1976 Nova and right now it has a 355ci small block, th-350 w/ 2500 stall, and a 8.5 10 bolt with 3.73s. I am looking at getting a 454 and a th-700r4 after I get home.

#42 ·
Yes it is only a 357 but not stock...550 hp and 460 ft lbs and 3300 lbs of car. I don't have another hood laying around but glassteck will have them, that is where I got mine. I will try to take some pics of the engine and get those posted pretty soon.

Thank you for the compliments.

#43 ·
I just bought a 75 nova 2dr sedan with a 350 small block. I already own a 96 civic and I dont ever wanna drive that piece of crap again..(the honda). It has 66k original miles and no rust a california car made at a distant plant. I cant wait to get to work on it and right now im paying it off for 1250$ I got 500 down and he let me have already. this car is freaking awesome and despite the earlier a body muscle cars this one is just my style but Im 21 so I guess it skipped my generation perfectly. I will post pictures 2morrow.

#62 ·
Stan,

do you street drive the car much ?

any problems with the electric pump-drive overheating / keeping up ?

been thinking about an electric pump ( or the drive you have ) myself, but been apprehensive, as my car will be a semi-daily-driver ( weekend warrior which will see mid-week street time) , so worried about overheating.

~ AL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.