Chevy Nova Forum banner

Idle-stop solenoid

10K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  bigdaddykane 
#1 ·
I have a '69 L78/TH400 and am in need of a idle stop solenoid and bracket. This is for a Holley. Does anyone have an idea where I may be able to find this part? What esle interchanges is any? All help is appreciated.

#3 ·
I think these solenoids were put on to close the throttle plate even more when you turned the key off. That way, the car would not 'run on' or diesel after the key is off. I'm not sure, but if your car shuts off fine without it, maybe you don't need it.

#4 · (Edited)
I think you're looking for the solenoid that bumps up the idle in AC cars when the AC is on. If your car does not have working AC, you don't need it. If it does have working AC, you may have to set the idle a little higher so the car won't stall at idle when the AC kicks on.

Update: Daves7dnova is correct -- the idle stop solenoid is to completely kill the car and prevent run-on. AC cars have a solenoid, too, but it's to bump the idle, not kill it.

#5 ·
Idle Solenoid..

This is indeed a rare part....they were used on the 69 L78 and L72 TH400 applications. The hi horse motors tended to run at a higher idle and this solenoid prevented dieseling (run-on) when the car was shut off. Most of these switches have been tossed over the years because of carb changes and performance upgrades. I am not sure if the low horse engines also had one with the automatic or perhaps with a/c....you might want to contact Eric Jackson form Vintage Musclecarparts and see if he has one or can help. Your best chance to find one may be thru the Camaro guys.

I have attached a photo

www.vintagemusclecarparts.com

wilma

Attachments

#10 ·
I have a 69 that I believe was an L34 car originally. Manual transmission, manual steering, etc. There is a large number 8 or 10 wire 9 (purple?red?) that has been cut off the wire harness under the hood near the wiper motor. I think I looked at a wiring schematic once that indicated that this wire was for the idle solenoid. Does that sound right for an L34 car???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.