Chevy Nova Forum banner

slight dings

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  72 red 
#1 ·
Anyone know how to get pressure dings out. I had a igloo fall and put a slight pressure ding in the side of my car. Ive heard something about ice, anyone?:mad:

#3 ·
72 red said:
Anyone know how to get pressure dings out. I had a igloo fall and put a slight pressure ding in the side of my car. Ive heard something about ice, anyone?:mad:
I had a buddy give me a paintless dent remover from Wurth,it works great for door dings.You heat glue gun with glue(supplied) place a dab of glue with puller attatchment put puller on it and get about three good pulls and repeat if needed it is great for removing small dents.I've also used toilet plunger to pull dents.

Hope that helps Paul

#4 ·
There's a couple of "ice" things you need to consider.

1) The less ice you have in your igloo cooler when it falls on your car the smaller the dent it makes.:D

2) You have to heat the sheet metal VERY hot, then drop (apply) an ice cube to the "hot-spot", and that makes the metal shrink up. This really isn't something to do without ruining the paint.:)

#5 ·
I'd take it to a paintless dent removal guy if I were you, there's plenty of them around Houston. I've seen some of these guys do amazing work removing door dings. The don't 'pull' the dent out from the outside, but massage it out from the inside with a variety of tools. As long as they can get to the dent from the backside they should be able to smooth it out. I have a ding in my Nova's rear quarter (from my own wife!:eek:) that I'm needing to have smoothed out one of these days.

#7 ·
Greg McMillan said:
Just confirming the good experience using the painless dent removal guys. Had a shopping cart ding massaged out from a Cadillac and it was like it never happened. Not as cheap as using an ice cube or glue gun though!

i'll second or third that. had a small ding in a door that had been in there for 25 years. had a paintless dent guy work on it. he took a phone call and when he came back he said that he was 90% done and would be done in a few minutes. my respond what that he was done as when he was on the phone i looked the area over with anal attention and i could not tell where it had been. cost $75. best of luck.....

#9 ·
We had a big hail storm some years ago. Several of the dent guys set up shop in a shopping center parking lot fixing cars that got damaged. They did some pretty incredible work and they were fast too. Lots of people had cars fixed and I never heard anyone complain or grip about the work. RM

#10 ·
I own a Paintless Dent Repair company. I wil play Mythbuster here.

You can heat a dent, and cool it to shrink it out, However for this to work we are talking extreme heat that will damage the paint.

There are ways to release pressure in dents. If you try to pull one out with a glue puller, or suction cup without releasing this pressure, you can "Lock" up the dent. (Sometimes you can get lucky on a soft dent though)

Also be carefull with the Wurth system, or any other glue pulling system. These are designed to work on modern sheetmetal with factory paint. It is quite possible to pull the paint off of a car if it has been repainted. Trust me on this one:rolleyes:

I have worked on quite a few classic cars the results can be mixed. The old sheet metal is harder to work than newer stuff. The depth of the dent, and access to the backside of the metal are key factors. There are plenty of PDR guys in your area. Choose one carefully. This is not a skill that you just pick up. Find someone who has been in the business for a minimum of 5 years.Longer would be better though. Ask for references etc. There are alot of guys who say they do PDR, but cant do it that well.

Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.