Chevy Nova Forum banner

another transbrake ?

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  1slow64 
#1 ·
My question is, I am running a th350 w/ a 9" converter (4,000 stall)
I have a 3,000 chip in my 3-step but the brake will not hold the car.
It rolls out pretty good when I mat the pedal. I wait about 5 sec. after
I press the button before I let off the foot brake and mat the pedal.
If I don't wait then it will not hold at all.
It is a JW TB.

#2 ·
It should hold or something is not adjusted right for the reverse gear to engage. The tb engages reverse gear at the same time first gear is engaged. So the motor is trying to turn the driveshaft both ways at the same time. Hence it doesn't go anywhere. Sounds like rev isn't engaging the whole way.

#3 ·
Some crappy transbrakes (like in Mopars) need the rpm to be over 1500 before you push the button or they won't hold. My Hipster will engage at real low rpm.
I tried bracket racing a Duster with some TCI junk a few times, and you'd never know where the car would stop rolling--didn't go many rounds in that turd!

#5 ·
How bout when you do the same only with the gear selector?
When I put the car in reverse it makes a positive shift. I don't know
if I would call it a clunk.

If you put the car in nuetral and hit the brake does it clunk right into reverse?

I haven't tried this yet.

#7 ·
I had that problem with a trans brake once, I think it was a TCI valve body. I switched to an ATI and it was fixed. There was nothing else wrong. I think some brakes just work differently than others, if oyu have your paperwork it may say something about it or you could give them a call. If the car drops right in with the gear selector you revers servo and band should be good.

#8 ·
Whoever built your trans should be consulted. It sounds like there is too much clearance in there somewhere. If it takes 5 secs to engage, there is too much. Or your pump isn't up to snuff. When you hit the button, the car should be locked and you should be able to mat the pedal and be ready. I run a glide and had a clearabce problem where it would take about a second for it to engage. But it would also take that long to go into reverse. There's more to installing a brake than just bolting it in. But if you had someone build it for you, that is where you should start. Dave

#10 ·
Whoever built your trans should be consulted.
I am taking the car to Paul Dorn tomorrow. He is the one that built it.
He is going to take care of it.
I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I could do on my own.
This is the 1st trans brake I have owned.
Thanks for the help.
jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.