Fuels gauge ohms - Page 3 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th-June-2017, 02:48 PM   #31
sc2dave

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1966 nova, 194c.i.d.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Jim View Post

Jim
This is where my gauge sits at, when all wires are connected to send unit. I disconnected the wire to sending unit only, and it went about 1/2" past the full mark. I hooked it back up and ONLY disconnected the ground wire and it went back to the setting on the picture. Bad/sinking float?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th-June-2017, 07:17 PM   #32
Ray_McAvoy

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1974 & 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella's dad View Post
At the risk of sounding even more ignorant of electrical systems than I am, What is a "shunt"?
The "shunt" is a resistor that is connected in parallel with the gauge coil that pulls the needle toward the "empty" side. The sending unit (which is a variable resistor) is wired in parallel with the gauge coil that pulls the needle toward the "full" side.

On the original GM fuel gauges, the shunt resistor is typically mounted on the back of the gauge. Early ones were constructed of a thin wire wrapped around a rectangular insulator. Later ones are often in the form of a carbon film on a rectangular ceramic substrate.

If the shunt resistor is bad (open circuit), missing, or simply not making good electrical contact with the gauge terminals, it allows more current than normal to flow through the gauge's "empty" coil. That results in an abnormally low reading as shown in Jim's pictures.
Old 17th-June-2017, 09:35 PM   #33
bella's dad

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1973 Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_McAvoy View Post
The "shunt" is a resistor that is connected in parallel with the gauge coil that pulls the needle toward the "empty" side. The sending unit (which is a variable resistor) is wired in parallel with the gauge coil that pulls the needle toward the "full" side.

On the original GM fuel gauges, the shunt resistor is typically mounted on the back of the gauge. Early ones were constructed of a thin wire wrapped around a rectangular insulator. Later ones are often in the form of a carbon film on a rectangular ceramic substrate.

If the shunt resistor is bad (open circuit), missing, or simply not making good electrical contact with the gauge terminals, it allows more current than normal to flow through the gauge's "empty" coil. That results in an abnormally low reading as shown in Jim's pictures.
Got it, thanks!

Old 18th-June-2017, 12:45 PM   #34
sc2dave

Quote:

So,based on this, my shunt is probably bad? sending unit probably good, from my previous post?
Old 18th-June-2017, 03:05 PM   #35
Custom Jim

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1968,1973,1974,1977(Sold)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2dave View Post
So,based on this, my shunt is probably bad? sending unit probably good, from my previous post?
It's very possible it's bad or not making the proper connections.

The sender might be good or might not be.

I'm lucky in that I work for an audio shop and we do service work and I have access to different resistors. When I was testing mine and also holding school for another member at the house with his fuel gauge issues, I had a variety of resistors to where I could verify and check things. If you know how things work you can use the resistors to mimic what the sender in the tank should be outputting.

Years ago I had a customer that I installed a digital dash and it was wired to an adjustable tank depth sender and he was having issues and when I showed him how to test things in the trunk I didn't have to take the dash apart to where with the tests with the resistors, I could say for sure with 100% of confidence that from the test point towards the gauge was fine and he had a sender issue. I could have started by taking the dash apart but I tried to work smart with using a few tools like the resistors to check things prior to taking hard to access parts out of a dash.

You never know sometimes as you might have one issue or multiple ones but if you troubleshoot things properly, you can find single issue's or multiple ones.

Personally I would like to say for sure it's just a gauge shunt issue in your situation but now that I've said that, this will not be true.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18th-June-2017, 05:17 PM   #36
sc2dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
I'll check and see if it's stamped on there tomorrow.
Is the stamping on the outside, where you can see it when the sender is installed?
Old 18th-June-2017, 09:24 PM   #37
sc2dave

So what should the shunt Ohms be when measured end to end,off of the gauge?
Old 18th-June-2017, 10:03 PM   #38
Ray_McAvoy

Quote:
So what should the shunt Ohms be when measured end to end,off of the gauge?
If I remember correctly, they are somewhere near 90Ω ... similar to the sending unit when full. If you don't get any reading at all (open circuit) then the shunt resistor is bad.
Old 18th-June-2017, 11:53 PM   #39
sc2dave

Quote:
If I remember correctly, they are somewhere near 90Ω ... similar to the sending unit when full. If you don't get any reading at all (open circuit) then the shunt resistor is bad.
I checked it and I got 920 or so. I noticed that it has the 2 prong connector and a 3rd threaded stud under. Is there something that connects to it? So then it's my sender that's most likely bad?
Old 20th-June-2017, 10:36 PM   #40
Ray_McAvoy

Quote:
I checked it and I got 920 or so.
Is that 920Ω or just a typo and supposed to be 92Ω ?

92Ω sounds okay, but if it really is reading 920Ω then something isn't right. Those resistors typically don't change in value (other than going open circuit if broken). So you might want to double check that measurement.

Quote:
I noticed that it has the 2 prong connector and a 3rd threaded stud under. Is there something that connects to it?
The 2 prong connector is for the power & sending unit connections. The 3rd threaded stud below connects the gauge to ground via the metal instrument cluster (the cluster is case ground).

Quote:
So then it's my sender that's most likely bad?
That depends on what you find when you double check the shunt resistor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement