Chevy Nova Forum banner

Call out to 1966 L79 with A/C owners

12K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Jrocket 
#1 ·
I got an email from a guy I know from the Internet. He recently sold his beautifuly restored, numbers matching 1966 L79 Nova Super Sport to purchase what I beleive is an even more rare Nova: a 1966 L79 Nova Super Sport with A/C.

I can honestly say I don't beleive I've ever seen a real L79 with A/C. I know they existed but I can't remember seeing one. Since I was asked how many were built I tried to take a guestimate (since the actual production number doesn't exist).

I know there were 5,481 L79 built with 3,547 of them being Super Sports. And I know there were 8,294 1966 Novas built with A/C. That equals approx 5% of the total production. So if 5% of all Novas had A/C we can assume that 5% of all L79 Super Sports had A/C. That would mean approx 177 1966 Nova Super Sports had both the L79 and A/C.

Again, that is just a guess and not a real number. The real number could be higher or lower buy I think it's safe to say that only about 170 to 200 were built.

Anyone have an L79 with A/C or has seen one?

#3 ·
Scott, if the fellow that just bought the a/c L79 got it from NW Washington State and it's black, then yes, I've seen it. It's the NNN raffle car from the 90s that Mark mentioned in his post.
There were two different a/c units for 1966 Chevy IIs, the 'All Weather' system which was a factory install only, and the 'custom' system which was a dealer install only. I'm not sure of the differences, but I assume the factory system was somewhat more sophisticated. The factory system also had a different heater/defroster control box in the dash with a vertically mounted fan switch on the left hand side. I believe the custom system had the standard controls in the dash, but had a 3 speed a/c fan switch on the evaporator box under the dash. This is one way to tell a factory system from a dealer install. The other is the engine suffix code, which for factory a/c L79s should end in ZJ (like Mark's wagon) or ZH for a car that also had an A.I.R. system. A car with dealer installed a/c would likely have the ZI or ZG suffix. The previous owner of the black a/c L79 posts on this board, so hopefully he can answer the question about factory vs. dealer install.
Bob

#7 ·
L79

Unit under dash looks like factory. Can't really see controls. Is it a ZJ block? Don't know how hard it will be to find compressor unit for air. Looks like quite a project! Hopefully he can do the majority of the paint and body himself! Jim

#8 ·
NovaResource said:
No, his name is Tom and he's from San Jose, CA. He sold his red restored L79 SS to buy this blue L79 SS that is in need of a total restoration. Here are some pics:
This is one rare L79, Scott. Not much doubt that's a factory a/c install. Looks like lots of work to be done.
NWYENKO, did your car have a ZJ block and fan switch on the heater control panel?
Bob

#10 ·
Good info, Jim. For many years it was believed you couldn't order a Chevy II L79 with a/c. Now we know of three that were.
Just for info, the All Weather a/c was not a factory option in Canada for 1966 Chevy IIs. The dealer installed Custom a/c package was available, but I've never seen a Canadian 1966 Chevy II or Acadian with it.
Bob

#11 ·
I bought parts from a totalled 66 L79 back in the early nineties (from mountain view CA ) it was a 2 dr sport coupe bench seat with 4 speed, and L-79 option with AC car was clipped on right side so hard the manifolds broke in two and the trans as well ,the roof buckled as well. I saved the cowl tag and saved some original manuals that were in the glove box I'll have to dig em out Joe

#13 ·
I heard Tom paid 10 K for that car , however it does disturb me he advertised the RED 66 L79 car as a matching # car I personally know it is not !! The original owner before Tom is a personal friend of mine I we just were talking about it .... It is a original L-79 car but the trans , rear end are not matching # and the rear Quarter and wheel house where replaced from a big wreck in the 80's . Tom also sold the 154# dist from the engine to put a MSD in car , I helped sell that dist to Nova doug 66 in CT, I also found that paperwork on that car I got parts from it shows AC as dealer installed not factory installed ...Joe

#20 ·
DROPTOP613 said:
Doe's anyone out there have any pictures with the SS rockers off so you can see how the factory laid out the black on the rockers and in the door sill area?

Bob
Hi Bob: I'll take some pics of mine today and post them for you. They are not factory original, but close, based on info I got from Wayne Bushey at NNN.

#21 · (Edited)
DROPTOP613 said:
Doe's anyone out there have any pictures with the SS rockers off so you can see how the factory laid out the black on the rockers and in the door sill area?
Bob
This should probably be a separate thread, but here are a few pics of the black rocker paint on the 66 SS. The semi gloss black is just on the lower sill extending far enough over the rocker to be covered by the molding. This is a detail frequently forgotton on restored 66 SSs. It was factory applied on all light color cars to eliminate a body color paint line that showed between the bottom of the door and the top of the rocker molding. Hope this helps.
Bob

#22 · (Edited)
1966 L79 SS a/c owner

Hello,I was reading some of the older threads and came across a thread that was titled Call Out To 1966 L79 with A/C.I have owned a 1966 Chevy II L79 SS with Factory A/C for three years now and I would like to know how many that were built and how many that are still around.Our car was originally from AZ.,sold in NOVEMBER 1966,that is what the title has on it.This car is a factory Aztec Bronze/on black int.,we went back with that color to stay with the factory look when we were doing the restoration.This car retains its vin. stamped block and vin. stamped M21 transmission,also 12 bolt 3:73 GM gears.What kind of response have you had?
thanks Aztec Bronze L79

#23 ·
Hello,I was reading some of the older threads and came across a thread that was titled Call Out To 1966 L79 with A/C.I have owned a 1966 Chevy II L79 SS with A/C for three years now and I would like to know how many that were built and how many that are still around.Our car was originally from AZ.,sold in NOVEMBER 1966,that is what the title has on it.This car is a factory Aztec Bronze/on black int.,we went back with that color to stay with the factory look when we were doing the restoration.This car retains its vin. stamped block and vin. stamped M21 transmission,also 12 bolt 3:73 GM gears.What kind of response have you had?
thanks Aztec Bronze L79
There are no figures available on how may L79's had a/c, but safe to say, not very many. As well as factory air, there was a dealer installed a/c, too. Is yours factory? Will have a ZJ suffix code on the engine if it is.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.