Chevy Nova Forum banner

Big question about mulit leaf conversion

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Mike Goble 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Well it's a big question to me. My 71 was sagging real good so I decided to do something about it. I looked at other posts and bought some 5 leafs to replace my single leaf. It seems the bolt(nub) on top of the springs fits in the pad real nice. It seems when the whole mess is bolted up with the U bolts the pad compresses and the nub has no where to go. It would press up against the upper perch and that becomes the main mechanical connection. Or does the pad become the main connection? Do I need to worry about the nub pressing on the perch or does it even get close? Would a spacer plate with a hole in it work? I don't want to change out the perch which I'm sure is the correct fix.

Thanks,
Randy

#2 ·
Drill a hole in the center of the perch with a pilot point drill, stopping short of drilling through the axle tube. This will give the locating pin a place to go. If need a deeper hole you can use a spacer or even a wedge to get your pinion angle more in line with your requirements.

#3 ·
Mike thanks for you time.

Do you have any idea how thick the axle tubes are? I'm a little nervous, penetrating one of those could cause a messy situation. This sounds like a reasonable solution at the same time. Even if the bolt went in half of it's depth that would allow the pad to grip better.
Thanks,
Randy

#7 ·
Do you have any idea how thick the axle tubes are? I'm a little nervous, penetrating one of those could cause a messy situation. This sounds like a reasonable solution at the same time. Even if the bolt went in half of it's depth that would allow the pad to grip better.
Thanks,
Randy
I wouldn't use any pads, bolt it metal to metal. Dump the t-bolts and use u-bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.