Chevy Nova Forum banner

Stupid Rear End Question

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  62 4dr 
#1 ·
I have a 8.2 rear end now and want a 8.5 rear end. What would it take for me to switch out the rear end, without buying a new one. I want the Detroit TrueTrac but they don't have it for an 8.2. I am going to be buying the new rear end with new 3.42 gears, why can't I just buy everything for an 8.5 since I am basically swapping everything out or am I missing something.

#13 ·
Can you confirm that the rear end off of a 65 Nova 8.2 10 bolt is 28 splines? I have done some research and this is what I came up with. I am getting ready to buy the Eaton Posi and they said they need to know.

All these splines and axles, etc. are starting to confuse me. I also need to know the splines on the axles is that the same thing?

Thanks for everyone's help.

#16 ·
Can you confirm that the rear end off of a 65 Nova 8.2 10 bolt is 28 splines?

Thanks for everyone's help.
Yes the splines on a 65 nova rear end is 28. Have you considered swapping to a S10 rear end? I bought one from a 2002 which is 1 7/8 inches shorter on each side from stock nova 8.2. Plus, it has 30 spline axles, 8.5 diff. and mine came with 3.42 gears. Mine also came with the Gov-loc(SP?). Although I'm sure I will break that thing and replace with something else.

#17 ·
i have the same problem. my 62 8.2 is a 10 bolt 28 spline and im pretty sure yours is too since its a 1st gen. i was going to put in a 8.5 rear from a 77or 78 firebird but will have to cut the houseing because its about 3-5 inches off. i too was wondering about a swap

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.