Chevy Nova Forum banner

Front Main Seal On BBC

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Fatcat 
#1 ·
I was thinking that even though the motor supposedly has about 600 miles on it, I had just as well replace the front cover gasket and the front seal while I have the balancer off. I haven't removed the cover yet, could someone refresh me on how to get the old seal out and the new one in? I have a new balancer to put on it, I just haven't got the threads fixed in the crank yet. Too cold out. So -if someone could enlighten me on how to r&r that seal I would appreciate it....

#2 ·
It's just pressed into the cover so you can pry it out. I usually use a slide hammer with a hook on the end. Use a tube the size of the seal OD or seal installer tool to put it back in with a BFH........LOL. RM

#3 ·
If it only has 600 miles on it, why would you even change it, unless it was leaking. If it isn't broke, don't fix it. And if you do, you might a well put a new pan gasket on it. Just taking the balancer off shouldn't affect anything. My .02 Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.