Chevy Nova Forum banner

m20 or m21 or m22 in 1 race which 1 wins at track??????

11K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  koreyss 
#1 ·
just picked up a muncie m21..didnt give a hoot if it was a m20 m21 or m22 or a rock your pocket, Rock Crusher!! my motor will break the GM factory m22 as will! when I bought the m21 the guy advertised it as a m22 and I informed him it wasn't! either way the price wasn't hyped up so I bought it!! the car might see the track once or twice a year!! opinions please! which muncie will get you to the line 1st? (I know the GM muncie M22 is a lil stronger) and no tree hugger mpg please! LOL!

#4 ·
agree with close ratio

I've read guys threads on various forums say they switched to the M20 and now their car is faster and performs better ...These bone heads just by accident matched the rearend gears up with the M20 1st gear ratio...Not because I have the M21 but I would agree with close ratio is better at track; with a 4.11 or better........Soooo tighter rpm's wins in my book!!!! Smoking tires are for kids!! and spinning aint winning!!!

#6 ·
breaking??? grear!!!!

chipping teeth/grinding teeth off!!! tranny's have their limits!! maybe better made, different metal might hold up a little longer...new same set naw!!!
doing research and checking various forums and knowing people that run them at the track you gather something...totally new with new housing and gears for a muncie m22 is the way to go!!! and its cheaper than buying one and putting the same weak gears in it.......thanks a lot guys!! Great input!

#7 ·
Some Muncie FYI

The M22 is not physically stronger then the M20 or M21, the difference is the way the gears are cut. The M22 was originally designed for road racing, where temperatures were increased with the steeper cut gears of the M21, so the M22 was design with a straighter cut gear to reduce heat. Drag racers also benefitted unknowingly from the straight gut gears, because they apply less end load on the case. The case is the weak spot with Muncies if it stretches the gears don't have enough contact and will break. The name rock crusher because of it's strength, it's from the noise created by the straighter cut gears.:yes:

#8 ·
Richmond 5 speed ratios
3.28 2.13 1.57 1.24 1.00
4.06 2.22 1.57 1.24 1.00
4.41 2.22 1.57 1.24 1.00

Ratios of the M20 , M21 , M22

Year 1963-1965 Type: M20 Rings: None Ratio: 2.56 / 1.91 / 1.48 / 1.00
Year 1966-1974 Type: M20 Rings: Two Ratio: 2.52 / 1.88 / 1.46 / 1.00
Year 1963-1974 Type: M21 Rings: One Ratio: 2.20 / 1.64 / 1.28 / 1.00
Year 1967-1974 Type: M22 Rings: None Ratio: 2.20 / 1.64 / 1.28 / 1.00

#9 ·
An engine with a broad torque curve and lots of useable rpm will benefit from a wide ratio trans. Close ratio is better suited to a peaky motor. There is no one trans is better for all applications. Every combo is different...

#12 ·
totally new with new housing and gears for a muncie m22 is the way to go!!! and its cheaper than buying one and putting the same weak gears in it
I agree.
M22 gears are stronger because there is more contact area. The new beefier cases with iron midplate and new M22 style gears for less than a 40 year old original, I don't see how you could go wrong. It's the way I plan on going.
Russ

#16 · (Edited)
They're all "rockcrushers" when they are listed for sale, just like all sbc's magically turn into "Vette" motors in the ads.

As far as the original question "Which would win?" ignores the purpose of different gear ratios are for different applications. It's like bear vs. shark. Depends on if the fight is on land or in the ocean.

#19 ·
I think the 26 input/32 output shaft is stronger than the 10/27 shaft size but I dont know if one or the other was wide ratio verses close ratio? The one I bought is the M22 autogear case iron mid plate and autogear tail shaft with the 26/32 spline close ratio for my 65.

#22 ·
@Straightaxlenova and @ UncleBigBad1968....LOL! Soo you guys saying I wont even make it off the line??? Muncie haters!! my car moves extremely will the motor is will built $$$$$ Transmission sees more street...But I will upgrade to what! we will see! because I've learned from this site everyone's trans is better than the other except when someone metioned Lenco $$$$ It sure feels good to smoke a guy who misjudged your engine/trans combo...Money wont win you the race to the line; however you worry less about blowing up your transmission...until than MEN :salute:

#24 · (Edited)
Good one!
You wanted to know which transmission wins at the track, right?
The fastest, and quickest way down the track with a stick shift is by launching with your gas pedal to the floor, and only lifting at the end of the traps, and using the clutch only to launch. Anything else will be slower.
Please try that with a Muncie and report your findings. I bet it will be pretty interesting, LOL.

#23 ·
@Straightaxlenova and @ UncleBigBad1968....LOL! Soo you guys saying I wont even make it off the line??? Muncie haters!! my car moves extremely will the motor is will built $$$$$ Transmission sees more street...But I will upgrade to what! we will see! because I've learned from this site everyone's trans is better than the other except when someone metioned Lenco $$$$ It sure feels good to smoke a guy who misjudged your engine/trans combo...Money wont win you the race to the line; however you worry less about blowing up your transmission...until than MEN

LOL I dont hate muncies..., I'm positive it'll make it off the line. I have a m20 in my 68 now. Broke two ears off two cases on my m20 in the past. Maybe I just got two bad cases.... idk. Borg warners have the cast iron casing. (lil stronger than the aluminum). Ran a buddies super t-10 in it while I got a new case for my m20 the last time. It was nice, but couldnt afford it at the time. But I'm not gonna rod my car too hard anymore. Just cruise it. Putting alotta work into it to crash it. Rather just enjoy the rides in it, people goking at it, etc etc.:cool:

#26 ·
@UncleBigBad1968 @Straightaxlenova @Taz3

Will men the M21 has already been commissioned and the maiden voyage has been set for spring 2012...And a special thanks to "Straightaxlenova" for
encouraging me, and I will pesonally autograph a tooth from one of the gears if or when one becomes avialable..:salute:

#30 ·
I actually have P/G in the shed!! I'm only running the muncie because I recently found out the car was an original 4-speed SS...And also P/G's + transbrake high stall torque converter on the street :( Tickets n' Jail!!!! (especially on Deer park Ave.!!! I'm sure you heard of it!)

A hardcore Automatic 400th or power glide has serious limitations for street.. your pretty much stuck at the track.. Buuuuuuut with a manual the world is yours!!!:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.