Pro Street Maintenance ... - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st-April-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
jfranco
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1967 Pro Street Nova
Pro Street Maintenance ...

Hi Guys,

Just got back into cars after a 26 year layoff.
I now own a very nice Pro Street car, details are all listed in my album.

What are you guys doing for routine maintenance? I have heard everything from wait till it breaks, to go over every single nut and bolt once a month. Looking for a more realistic approach to preventive maintenance on a car like this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st-April-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
Peyton Gregory

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 73 Nova
Welcome to the site. Where in VA are you located?
Old 21st-April-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
jfranco
(OP)

Thanks. I'm in Falls Church. Last time I had a 'car' I was in NY. So I need to start building up my car guy group again.

Old 21st-April-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
rjy

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1964 nova
I do a complete nut and bolt once a year. We have a indoor show here in Michigan that is 5 days long. I take this time for a good clean up and nut and bolt check up to ready myself for the up coming car show season. Great time also to clay bar - polish - glaze - wax. We have two day prep to ready us for the 3 day show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21st-April-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
itslow

Nova(s): '66 LSx/TKO Project
Do you race this car or use it only for weekend car shows or cruise-ins?

The inspection and subsequent maintenance intervals for the two use-cases will be different. There's really no need to do a yearly every-nut-and-bolt inspection for the latter if you've used the proper fasteners, installed them correctly, and done quality fabrication elsewhere on the vehicle.
Old 21st-April-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
bracketchev70

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 70 Nova (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
Do you race this car or use it only for weekend car shows or cruise-ins?

The inspection and subsequent maintenance intervals for the two use-cases will be different. There's really no need to do a yearly every-nut-and-bolt inspection for the latter if you've used the proper fasteners, installed them correctly, and done quality fabrication elsewhere on the vehicle.
I agree, if once a year you want to look around under the car it's not a bad idea since some parts may not have been specifically designed for road use. but otherwise bolts are bolts. You don't do a nut and bolt check on your daily driver.
Old 21st-April-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
Sooner1

Drive it and take note of any problems.
Get it on a lift if possible and get a couple pairs of eyes to look it over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'66 and '67 Hard Tops
Drag Week 2015 Champ, Top 8 Drag WK 2016
'72 Nova:Twin turbo LS DW 2017 Project
Old 21st-April-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
epfatboy

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy Nova SS
I do all my own work and I know I do a good job.... but I still spend a fair amount of time cleaning and checking everything I can when I can.

Helps find a problem before it becomes a problem at 130mph. But I'm stressing my car frequently at the drags, I take a different approach with my drivers but still spend some time with them.

What to check:
Chassis, cracks rust bends
Suspension: cracks, leaks, binding, hardware
Engine: exhaust leaks, oil leaks, wire getting burned, wires in general, throttle linkage, choke if you have one, AFR if you have a gauge, plugs, dizzy, coolant, play in belts and pulleys, fluids.

Sent while texting and drag racing

Old 21st-April-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
jfranco
(OP)

Thanks Guys,

This is the first car that I did not build myself, so I need to get to know it.
Right now it is just to cruise and hit some shows. This summer I would like to get it to the track and start to get to know it even better ...

Of course youtube is filled with guys doing burnouts with wheels flying off, rear ends left behind at the starting lines, etc. I would like to prevent that, ha ha ha.

Never had these issues with previous cars, but since I did not do this build, I am a little nervous and wanting to prevent anything silly. Loose header bolts, shocks, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement