Chevy Nova Forum banner

What heads 400 sbc

20K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  66Sedanman 
#1 ·
I currently have a 72 400sbc in her with the stock 76cc iron slugs.
wondering what to go with , want to do mild cam, edelbrock rpm air gap manifold, holley 750. I have 373's in the rear, and a 2004r with 2400 stall convertor.

If I go with a 64cc head will it up my compression ratio to much for pump gas?
what kind of hp gains would this bring
Any help appreciated thanks!
Ps :dont want to dump crazy money ;)

#5 ·
Depends on what you mean by "mild" cam. For heads in general, you want ones that work , dart 215s, AFRs, ProActions (actually casted in the same place Darts are) but the Holley and edelbrock heads are more about the glitz and glam and $$ than performance.
If you want something cheap that will work get some Vortec heads, you can get them drilled for the old intake.
But you forgot to give all your details and application. It would be like me asking you how big of a trailer do I need to haul my stuff?

#8 ·
the best heads for the money are the brodix ik heads $995 out the door and one of the lagest name in cylinder heads out there put them on and it will pick up 1 1/2 to 2 seconds in thr qtr mile this is fact not storys i know because ive been building some of the fastest street and strip 23 degree heads for the past 15 years

in our corall that i had input on in some way or another
434 vette high 9s
434 vette bottem 10s
434 vette bottem 10s
406 vette high 10s
383 vette high 10s
355 vette high 10s
410 malibu mid 10s
406 camaro mid 10s
355 cutlass bottem 11s to high 10s
350 monte carlo high 11s stock flat top trw piston motor 10 to 1 comp
all of the above combos are under 13 to 1 most are under 12 to 1 and a couple are high 10s for compression all of the above combos have different heads for there specific combo but evey one was picked by me

#10 ·
no time for the pump gas drags with building motors for people and racing in a weekly bracket program
and no time for bragging in the magazines but you are about 1000th person who asks me these questions preety regularly

oh by the way the stable also includes
a 3000lb 63 chevy II that went high 8s
a 67 chevelle that went mid 9s at 3500= lbs
but these were 572 bbc and a 555 bbc

all of the above mentioned cars are all motor cars naturally asperated

#11 ·
Hey Corky... since when do they let you 'vette guys on a Nova forum? j/k ;)

Corkvette1 has been in the game a long time... I'd trust his opinion. I remember he had a red SBC '83-84 camaro that used to whoop on the big block guys and S/C mustangs on Sunday nights in the early 1990s. ;) :)

#12 ·
Small update, blocks at the machinist M2Race in farmingdale, NJ. getting .030 out of it ,for a 406

Going with scat 9000 crank, scat i-beam rods, speed pro hyper. Flat top pistons ,plazma moly rings , and I think ive decide on the Afr 195 eliminater heads.
Decking block to .005 will give me around 10.12 TO 1 compression , for pump gas. With the 75cc heads.

Havent decided on cam yet thinking of Isky solid roller, or ???
Havent decided on intake or carb yet either , thinking edelbrock rpm air gap and 750 speed demon????

My setup is a 66 chevyII 2004r,hughes 2500 convertor, 10 bolt with powertrax locker. 373 gears.
Hope my drivetrain holds , LOL.

Any thoughts ??
PS; thanks to all the guys who posted with input and PM'd Back to me:D

#13 ·
I no this is old , but I picked up a set of brand new vic jr heads, 850.00

couldnt pass them up , they are 215 runner, 70cc chambers , and 2.08 in and 1.60 ex
I have chosen a 292 comp cams hydraulic cam, with 501 lift and 244 dur int and exh.
figuring about 10.60 to 1 static with a dynamic compression ratio around 8.6 to 1 with this cam staright up.

#15 ·
You'd do better with something that has a little more lift, more inches like more lift. With a cam having that duration you'd be better with close to .550 lift. Or you could run 1.6 rockers which would put you at .534 which would be better. And those heads will work pretty well for what your doing!

#17 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys but I Forgot to add that I have sold my chevy II ( I know Im a traitor) and picked up a 55 chevy hardtop Belair my 1st Love, It came with a mild 406 iron head , so i am building this 406 that I had over the winter for it.
I picked up a NOS never installed Edelbrock x-c8 crossram dual quad manifold with two holley 450's. I am going for the nastalgic drag look.
I know I could have went bigger with the cam , but i just wanted a cruise night engine that has some rumpity rump and doesnt need new valve springs and maintenance every few months. Also something that will embarace the imports at the street light.:yes:

for a pick of my new chevy click here
http://www.trifive.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=6113

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.