Chevy Nova Forum banner

whats a std bore 400 worth ?

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  the FLYER 
#1 ·
I know where a complete 400 SBC 2 bolt main is w/balancer and flexplate & its a std bore block. (well its complete minus carb and accessories) it's std bore, but has been honed one time when it was freshened, I'm sure .30 should clean it up for a fresh start. it was running when pulled and has good compression on all 8 cylinders. (it was pulled cause he added a lift and tires and painted the ole 3/4t suburban it was in, so it also got a BBC transplant, as he finished his drag car and wanted more for a tow rig back & forth to the track) it has some smogger heads on it. its a buddies and it was in a suburban that was a hunting rig, wasn't a engine that was raced and it's never been hot. I don't need it. its just for stash, you know later project. my thinking was later on my options could be a 406 or a 400 crank to build a 383 or a 377. plus I have a couple nice sets of SBC heads to go with something, I have in stash a set of 062 vortec that need upgraded springs and some screw in studs and a fresh set of 76cc snoggers that have bigger valves and some other stuff done to them. plus I have a couple nice complete builder 350s also, ones a older LH dip stick 4 bolt main 3970010 block. and my son and I are looking for a roller or a complete vehicle to play with and hit the track some with. mostly a future father son project he can learn from building a engine and chaises for fun and learn the drag strip too. my real question is what would you pay for a decent 2 bolt main 400 SBC ?

#2 ·
I'd be hard pressed to pay over $300 for it. I've been looking for one myself. Good ones are getting hard to find. I've had two bad ones. I want to build about 450-500 HP so not much in the stock engine has value except the block and the crank. The crank only to resell for a 383 project.
BP

#3 ·
yeah I guess I was thinking $300 to $350 but I want it all. I want to keep and use the crank and block. that cast crank will make it in the 400 HP to 450 HP range in either form, the 383cid or the 4000cid. I would have to want it bad at any price above $350, or I guess I would prob skip it in the $400 + range. but I watched 2 stock GM 400 cranks no flex plate or balancer on HigH bay go for $124 to $135 plus $35 shipping. Theres one on there now.

#8 ·
that 64 should screem ! a 377 with a manual tranny in a smaller / lite car like the flyer would be fun I'm sure. the 400 blocks are gettin rare huh ? I'm a pack rat and keep stash everything. the $150 to $300 range for a complete engine would be ju8st right. I gota complete running 72,000 mi 1972 350 4 bolt main engine in a running 1972 C10 A/C cab p/u for a $100

#9 ·
not ta bag on the GURU's... but i've dreamed since being a kid of a 283 crank in a 327... i was continually shot down though...talkin' 'bout "Pack Rat'n" it... i've a set of 291 Humps that were ported/polished in the '80's i wanted to stick on the "301" and see what i could do... but common-sense i guess got the best of me and i was blessed to come into some money... so i listened to some guys i respect here and went ahead with the 377. i've yet to see what it'll do with a brick on the gas pedal. someday we'll see what we see ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.