Chevy Nova Forum banner

Electric choke power source?

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  jackb 
#1 ·
Where are you guys tapping into for you power source for the electric chokes?

I was thinking of using the windshield wiper motor but I'm not sure which wire on the wiper motor to tap?

Here is a pic of my wiper motor any ideas?

Auto part Fuel line Wire Engine Vehicle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
Where are you guys tapping into for you power source for the electric chokes?
I was thinking of using the windshield wiper motor but I'm not sure which wire on the wiper motor to tap?
Here is a pic of my wiper motor any ideas? View attachment 53881
That is what I did for a quick hook up. Just take do a voltage check on the suspect wire and make sure it is 12 volt (Ign ON) and 0 (Ign OFF).

#5 ·
Simplest way is to wire it from the coil positive wire or "HEI wire". All the coil or HEI wire is is a switched ignition power feed that has power during cranking as well as during run.

#7 ·
I thought about the HEI wire as well but read that it might not be a good idea to steal power from the HEI... When I looked around the engine bay the next best candidate seemed like the wiper motor..

I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I think wiring thru the sender is not an option.

#11 ·
I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge so I think wiring thru the sender is not an option.
Not the sender. This would be a simple on/off switch. The same one you would use for a warning light. Depending on how you want to wire it you could incorporate a low oil pressure warning light and control your choke with the same switch. I used a three prong switch and use it for an oil pressure warning light and a fuel pump cut off safety switch.

#9 ·
There is no power loss at the ignition circuit whatsoever when wiring the choke to it. If it was wired in series to the coil then it would be so minimal that you would have to hook an oscilloscope to see the difference in voltage and plus no "loads" on these cars are wired in series, unless you wire in something in series on your own. Wiring it in parallel, the alternator carries the task of the extra load...which again is minimal. I don't say anything for electrical if it isn't true, everything I state is in fact, fact. Tried and true, tested and proven. There is no if's or maybe's, or kinda's.

#12 ·
Nvscott, I only wish I knew what you were talking about! I barely know enough to hook up a tester to see if a wire is switched. Hell I'm not even sure how to use my multi tester correctly, I stumble about and eventually find the right setting so i make sure I have the right voltage.

Either way I hooked it to the wiper motor and I did a hell of a job. Found the right wire, exposed some copper, wrapped the new wire around the old and soldered a splice. Sealed it with shrink tape and ran the new choke wire in a black fabric wrap, looks pretty clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.