Chevy Nova Forum banner

Steering Gear Parts

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  the FLYER 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all you gear heads in nova land!! Been a while since I posted, but need some help finding parts for OE steering gear on my 66 chevyII. Looking for the ball nut in the gear box, rides the worm gear with resurculating balls. Mine is wore out inside, but the outside teeth are usable. I found a used gear box, after cleaning and inspection, the inside is good, but the outside teeth are unusable. Anybody have some good old parts around or know where I can get new??? Thanks!!!!

#3 ·
Steering gear parts

Tryed to post a pic, an attachment, and paint, but can not make it happen on this forum. But in your picture from the old repair manual of a saginaw gear cutaway, you see the ball gear mesh with pitman shaft gear, clearly marked as a ball gear, a rectangular straigth cut gear. Had a couple of good pics to post, of the gear,but I have to say, between me and my nephew, could not do it. Thanks again for any help guys, I really like this site!!!

#4 ·
Posting pix

I do it by uploading my pictures to photobucket.com (you need a free account) - then copy the bottom box under the picture and add it to my post. It shows a bunch of code stuff when you add it to your post, but if you do a preview you'll see the picture.

#8 ·
Re steering box

The ad post is mine - I'm trying to clear out stuff I don't need and will probably never use, but is too good to send to the dumpster. Let me know if you're interested......

Barry

#9 ·
Steering gear parts

Sorry it has taken this long to get back to you guys, been down with the flu for a week, felt worse than H--l!! Doing better now. Just following up in responce to all your input.Thanks for all the tips and offers,BARRYA,PCPETEAND FLYER!! Out of the two boxes I have, I'm going to use the beast parts from both to get buy with for now.Contacted Redhead and Pro Steering but none would sell any of there good used parts. Rather than buy more used boxes, and not be sure of what condition internals were,I think I can make what I have work for now! I ordered a rebuild kit form nnnova,useing all combinations of parts, and some creative machining of the housing just under the pitman gear, made some added clearance for extra adjustment of backlash between ball nut and pitman gear. Looks good at this time. Does anyone know what gear lube to use?? I thought 90 or 140 weight was oe, but both of these gears had what looked like old chasis grease in them and I mean old!! Thanks guys!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.