Chevy Nova Forum banner

Control Arms -- Most Cost Effective?

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  ovrdrive 
#1 ·
Guys...

Some of you know that this project is for kids...and done by kids....so if we are going to do it I want to do it right....if we have the funds.

We are removing the OEM control arms and in this process I am wondering how cost-effective it would be to replace them.

I know the kids all have dreams but my pocket is shallow.

So....if you were on a budget like us what are your thoughts AND if you feel we should upgrade them.....make suggestions PLEASE.

Thanks
Steve

#3 · (Edited)
Chean up and reuse your stock arms with upgraded bushings either Detroit Speed "Delrin" or Global West "Del-A-Lum" ones if you want to go top of the line.

http://www.globalwest.net/68-74-nova-front-end-individual-components.html

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1968-1974 Nova-Products/1968-1974-nova-fs-pg2.html

Cheaper solution is to go with Poly-Urethane or Poly-Graphite bushings. This is not as good as the Delrin or Del-A-Lum ones, but better than stock and less expensive.

The Guldstrand mod to the suspension, you can do it for nothing but the labor involved.

#6 ·
I tried those Control Arms. They are not stock proportions. the spring cup is deeper than the stock ones. They failed to mention it when I purchased them or in the description of them on line. They drop the car's stance 2 in.. Talking to the tech afterwards on the phone they finally admitted to that.

#7 · (Edited)
Just make sure you add up the cost of rebuilding the stoock arms vs buying some aftermarket ones, there are some chinese maDe arms that are $299 for a complete set off ebay...that add caster, with poly bushings and new ball joints...(They look like the KMJ ones to me) I'm not saying to give your money to the chinese or anything but they are an inexpensive option.

for me to rebuild my arms it cost ME:

100 bucks for bushings...I destroyed one installing them so I needed to purchase another set for the top at 50 bucks...so $150 total.

balljoints times 4 at 35$ each with shipping 140$

20$ paint, sandpaper, acetone

90 bucks to get the everything pressed out and the new stuff in.

130$ for offfset global west shafts

so
it cost me almost $600 to rebuild my arms with quality products and one mess up...you could probably do it for cheaper but thats where I ended up....should have just gotten aftermarket ones after it was all said and done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.