Chevy Nova Forum banner

white smoke uhh-oh

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NovaDave 
#1 ·
my 350 chevy had light white smoke emitting from the drivers side pipe replaced the intake gaskets which stopped the smoking untill it heated up once the thermostat opened up it smoked again ever so lightly and only once the thermostat opens up it doesnt get over 200 but the smokes annoying. im i really going to have to pull the heads to replace the head gaskets to make this stop or do i need to give the seals a little time to seat themselves? any input will help, also noticed on the last run to the store that i shot the dipstick out and covered the engine in oil, its done this once before just figured it was a bad dipstick seal. is this something anyone knows about? she just runs so good i hate to pull it apart any help is appreciated

#2 ·
The white "smoke" is possibly water vapor caused by a head gasket leak. Check the compression -- or better yet do a leakdown test.

Blowing oil out the dipstick is likely excessive crankcase pressure caused by something like an inoperative PCV or excessive blowby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.