Chevy Nova Forum banner

White smoke ?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  67SHOEBOX 
#1 ·
I was tuning the car yesterday and I noticed white smoke coming out the exhaust. I smell it and noticed it was not sweet like coolant but more rich like oil or gas, I dropped the exhaust and noticed in the drivers side header " 1 " of the tubes had a little oil in, all the other tubes were dry even on the passengers side, also the oil level was right on its mark so there was no oil consumption, what do you guys suggest? I thaught maybe pulling the valve covers today and going over the valves. The motor is like new with maybe 500 miles on it also both sides of the exhaust had white smoke coming out of them but that was due to the x-pipe. I hope nothings hurt, I havent even taken the car to the track yet, its still in its build stage.

#5 ·
Well found the problem Friday night, after taking a compression test on cylinder #5 and finding eratic readings ranging from 120 to 25 , I pulled the valve cover off and found the intake rocker for cylinder #5 laying in the valve cover.:eek: Yes the freaking studsnapped clean in half. Now the good thing is the rocker is still good, the push rod is straight and other than 2 minor scrapes in the valve cover and on 2 other rockers there was no other damage. After calling my engine builder and vented for about 20 minutes I am installing the ARP studs in the engine the engine builder installed Manley studs and although they are a good name, I prefer ARP and thats it. The stud snapped clean in half and that leads me to believe that the metal is defective and soon after others may start to break.

#8 ·
I am picking up the new studs today and will be going over everything tonight.
I dont have any reason to believe the geometry is off, but I will be checking it anyways. I have been buying engines from my guy for 7 years now and never had a problem, the engine went through hours of dyno time prior to my purchase and the only reason I am double checking his work is because we are only human and we do make mistakes sometimes.:yes:

#13 ·
It's alive !!!

Everything went well with the car, I replaced all the studs and installed the valve train back in and adjusted the valves. Fired her up and there was no misfire or any detection that there was any other damage:D I installed the wide band in and now in the process of jetting the carb and setting up the car to get ready for the dyno. I am leaving for Ocean city Maryland tomorrow for there spring car show !!! and trailering her down for the weekend. I hope to enjoy her for once instead of spending half my time either under or on top of her " That's why I call my car the mistress '" LOL:D:eek::yes:

#15 ·
WOW what a weekend

It was there 20th anniversary event and it was packed for at least 15-20 blocks:eek: I had so much fun cruising around down there " got into some light to light competition with some Mustangs and they got a very good look at my rear bumper:yes: The police were out as usual but I have been going down there for 3 years now to both of there shows ( spring and fall ) and never had trouble with the local police, they are just doing there job and some people get out of control and they are keeping the peace. It was 80 degrees and sunny from Thursday until Sunday morning when it became overcast and started to drizzle. I was leaving anyways so it didnt bother me.:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.