Chevy Nova Forum banner

roller rocker/ROCKER question

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  malik 
#1 · (Edited)
73 nova with 80's 350 in it,but the stock and new roller rockers don't sit square over spring.....most of them are slightly off alittle some are sitting square....why is that, maybe the studs are bend or something.......

any help is appreciated.

here's a picture of what it should look like but mine are off alittle, i've had both of these rockers installed- the roller tips and full rocker.

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you post a pic? Could be a few different things. Do you have guide plates?

I've had this issue also. I adjusted the guide plates to get em as centered as possible. Still weren't perfect.

#3 · (Edited)
IIRC, you've been having a LOT of problems since you installed the roller rockers...you've been given a TON of good advice, and some very pertinant questions have been asked, but is seems as though you've been ignoring them? :confused::confused:

From another roller rock thread you started previously, also about your roller rockers:
Did you take the heads off to machine the slots for more clearance? 1.6 rockers move the pushrod closer to the stud and they will rub on most heads. What's probably happening is the pushrods are hanging up holding the valve open and that's why you are getting the back fire. Stop now before you bend the pushrods and possibly screw up your engine.
Then later you started another thread with:
the stud wasn't lock tight down enough so the rocker came off....well...I decided to look at the rod and it was bend some, so i bought a new replacement rod and when i try to seat it, it keeps falling down....WHERE DID THE THING THAT KEEPS IT IN PLACE DOWN IN THE HOLE GO??
Sounds to me like Paul Wright was...well, right.
Did you ever open up the slots in the heads for proper clearance? You've already experienced bent pushrod(s)...and you've stated it didn't run right after you put the roller rockers on.

And here was a question I posted in your last thread:
Bscman said:
You say the you've had the rockers come off in the past?
I know a while back you were asking about roller tip rockers. Are you running roller rockers? If so, do you have guide plates?
Having the rocker arms rotate off is not all that common, unless you're not setting everything up properly.
I never got an answer...
If you're using roller rockers you NEED guide plates...those, and those alone are what keep the roller rocker oriented in the correct position so they do not rotate off the valve stem.
The use of guide plates also requires hardened pushrods.

Also worth noting, is that 1.6:1 ratio rockers increase the strain on the entire valve train. The increased lift can also cause clearance issues...as the larger ratio equates to more valve lift. If you're not using quality components, and/or don't have the correct clearances to accomodate that extra valve lift, you'll just start damaging parts (and potentially destroying your entire motor).

#4 ·
response to Bscman

ok, let me clarify a few things.....all i've done was add some roller rocker tips cuz i got engine without good rockers. The rocker tips worked but never really went on straight 1.6 3/8 but engine ran good. Later the rocker tips and/or studs tended to vibrate loose and once caused rod to bend and the other lil piece to come out, but i replaced all that and it ran fine.......

Now i've bought some good roller rockers(which was on in the beginning,that seller kept) but a couple of them don't seem to sit FLUSH on the spring tips. so now i'm just wondering why that continues to happen.

backfiring was from the timing, that's fixed.

i just installed the roller rockers as they came, motor has a hydralic cam so i don't have to gauge rockers....

hope that helps some..........sorry dude, doing what i can, but i appreciate the help, i'm almost there now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.