Chevy Nova Forum banner

swapping out the i6 for newer i6

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Bruce 
#1 ·
I have a completely stock 1962 nova.

According to the resource website it says I currently have 120hp and 177 torque.

I found a 1968 Nova engine and tranny for sale ($500). The resource website says it has 155hp and 235 torque. It's an original engine with 60k miles.

Is it worth doing the swap? Would the engine and tranny fit? Any recommendations? thanks

#2 ·
I cracked the block on my 194ci from the 62 a few years ago and put in a newer 250ci also. The dipstick tube and the z-bar were the only problems I had.

I just tapped a couple of bosses on the side of the new block and made a bracket for the z-bar to thread into. If you have an automotic transmission, I cannot think of any problems you would have.

For the dipstick tube, I just drained the oil every couple of months and refilled until recently. With the new rack steering, I was able to put on a rear sump oil pan and now I have a usable dipstick. I know people have drilled holes in the block to get the dipstick in the correct location, but my oil pan was held together with JBweld anyway and knew it was not going to be on there very long.

The $500 sounds kind of steep for a L6 but they are becoming hard to find. Good luck!

#5 ·
The 194 oil pan and pick-up tube will bolt right up to the 250 and you will not have any issues with clearance. The rear sump pan will work fine with a few hammer taps at the curve above the drain plug, unless you have power steering. With power steering you must use the Chevy II pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.