Chevy Nova Forum banner

1970 seat belt question

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  linestud 
#1 ·
I would like to install buckets in my '70 that now has a bench seat. My front seat now has a retractable seat belt bolted to the floor,to the left and right of the seat, for the driver and outboard passenger.

My question is: Do bucket seat cars use the same retractable assembly? I've searched SNS for this answer, as well as pics on the internet, but have come up empty.
Thanks.

#3 ·
I think it's a standard interior. There isn't anything fancy about my seats or door panels.
The retractable belt only pulls out about 12 inches or so, just enough to reach the driver's and passenger's lap. The belt is extended all the way, then one of the other 5 belts from the bench seat connects to the retractable, and I'm guessing the belt from the seat is used to adjust slack. I'm not really sure because I have never driven the car, and now the car is apart.

#5 ·
The retractor seat belts on bench seat Novas continued through the first week of June '70 cars (06A), the non-retractor seat belts began the second week of June '70 (06B). We have not been able to determine if the bucket seat cars had retractors, and if so, if they changed to non-retractors in the same week.

M

#11 ·
I would suspect it was to cut costs. When you compare the difference, it is substantial. The retractor assy is a bit complicated, and a whole lot more parts, compared to the straight belt bolted to the floor. Of course, it's always neat to see the non-retractor belts hanging outside the bottoms of the doors while people are driving - the General didn't care if the straight belt beat the helll out of your rockers :D

We figured out the exact week of the changeover with some simple luck - the Yenko Deuce Novas were all produced in 05D, 06A & 06B, and only the 06B cars have the straight belts!
M

#12 ·
I would suspect it was to cut costs. When you compare the difference, it is substantial. The retractor assy is a bit complicated, and a whole lot more parts, compared to the straight belt bolted to the floor. Of course, it's always neat to see the non-retractor belts hanging outside the bottoms of the doors while people are driving - the General didn't care if the straight belt beat the helll out of your rockers :D

We figured out the exact week of the changeover with some simple luck - the Yenko Deuce Novas were all produced in 05D, 06A & 06B, and only the 06B cars have the straight belts!
M
hello i have a 70 nova ss and was hoping someone had a driver side retractable seatbelt to get rid of mine is missing spring and need replaced. its black

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.