Chevy Nova Forum banner

Complete Rewire of my 72

8K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  ChevyIIMan 
#1 ·
I decided to rewire my nova after last winter, so after gutting the car completely I started collection pieces.

I picked up a EZ-Wire 21 Circuit Universal harness. It is well made with labels on the wires every 4"-6".

I began by mounting the fuse box to the factory location, I did build a sluminum blockoff plate for the firewall since the front harness will not exit there anymore.

After seperating the wires and where they will go I ran the main harness to the rear. I will note to anyone doing this make sure you run an extra wire in there for the dome light ground. They provide a feed wire but no return to goto the door switches or the headlight switch.

I purchased a new Dimmer Switch and installed that and hooked it up. Then made my way to the back. All of my connections are being replaced with weatherpak connectors. This includes the dome light, trunk light, fuel and plate light.

Also like the factory harness I put in a weatherpak connector that make the taillight section its own seperate harness. As well as replacing all the light sockets.

The harness does include GM column connectors so that was easy just plug in and wrap up those wires. For the headlight switch they do not have a plug just wires, but I picked up a plug for a GM headlight switch off ebay for under $10 and soledred it in, same thing for the wiper switch.

Then I wired up the ground for the dome light, this included running the ground wire from the dome light to both door jamb switches and a plug on the headlight switch.

Thats as far as I have goeent at this time. I will update this page with more photos and info as I get work complete.

See less See more
#2 ·
As I wait on more connectors for under the hood, I have begun working on the mounting location for my main electronics. This would consist of my MSD Digital 6 box, SSI-4 Data logger, Windband O2, and a seperate fuse panel for those items. On this panel I will have a feed for constant power, and a feed for keyed power. This will avoid ever having to tap into the fuse panel. To provide the keyed power I will be using the Cigarette lighter wire from the EZ Wire harness, as i am not a smoker and will be wiring up additional 12V power outlets.

I have run the main harness to the engine bay and have run connectors for the Oil/Water gauges. I have to hook up the wiper connection, horn, and then make my way to the headlight wiring. The headlight will be wired off of a relay bank on the firewall. This is also where I will have a terminal for alternator power to distribute it under the hood.

I still need to connect the reverse lights to the column, bolt the steering coupler up and work on getting the shifter linkage sorted out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.