Chevy Nova Forum banner

1974 nova Q's

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Novaboy-73 
#1 ·
For one, cool site guys!!!

Ok, I have a few questions. My 74 has some of the typicial rust areas. Is there a fix for this or pretty much just cut and weld back? What is a good site for the metal that i can trust?

are all of the body panels on the 73-74 interchangeable?

Finally, do all of the leafs in the rear sag bad on these...or do some people just jack them up a little (which im hoping to do) .

As of now i have the powerhouse of a 250 (yeah right) and the 3 speed. Which im seriously thinking of keeping it and putting a mild 350 if front of it. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

#2 ·
Here's my car when I first bought it. It's a 74 Nova SS. Lift kit in the back 295-50 back tires, th350 stage 3 transmission, B&M Star Shifter(some ratchet action), 350 with performer intake and eddy 650 thunder series carb.

The picture is fairly old now. My car's in the garage with crap stacked 6 feet high on either side so I can't take another picture. I've changed quite a bit... Currently redoing dual 2.5" exhausts.

My uncle has a 73 Nova SS that he rolled back in the 70's. Its sitting out on the farm and so far ALL parts have matched. 73-74 are almost identical. There were minor asthetic changes such as 74's had decals and 73's had badges. Thats the only noticable difference I can think of.

#3 ·
Finally, do all of the leafs in the rear sag bad on these...or do some people just jack them up a little (which im hoping to do) .
FIrst off, welcome to the site.
There is a best of tech section that covers a TON of frequently asked questions...also, the search button is a great tool. Tons of topics have been covered mutliple times, so it's likely theres an answer already out there, that just needs to be found.

As for the leaf springs...yes, it's common for them to sag.

You can use "lift-shackles" or air shocks to help raise the rear, but these are all just bandaids. The only correct way to do it is buy new springs, or have your old ones re-arched.

Lift shackles are bad news...they do a lot to your geometry/handling, all of which are negative.
And using air shocks, with a high pressure, to raise the rear will make for a rough riding car, with minimal weight transfer. Also, troubles when/if the shocks or lines fail (ouch!).

#6 ·
I would recommend some decent rims and as wide of tires as you can fit in the back as is. I'm actually considering dropping my car down to stock height and tucking 9 inch tires in the wheel wells.

From there its all about the rest of the drivetrain to me. Order I like to do them is:

1) Get a decent v8
2) Basic engine improvements(intake, carb)
3) Rearend
4) Tranny

For most people a mild 350 is all you will ever need.

#10 ·
On my 73, I run a 245/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's ... on a 15x7 steelie rim with factory offset and could probably get a 255/60 no problem.

Had my springs re-arc'd a few years back, and it turned out well !!. Price out re-arcing vs. new springs ... as some places may tell you it's cheaper to go with new springs.

I've seen some people run a 275/60/15 on a 15x7 rim too .... tight tho, with a little rubbing ...

Redid the quarters and wheel wells on my 74 Omega and I'm gonna try rolling in the fender lips and see if I can tuck a 275/60 on that car without having to jack it up .... and after I install my new springs : ) Current springs have a negative arc to them ...

#12 ·
I was thinking 15x8 or 15x7....gotta re-arch the springs for sure..and the pass side back pretty much needs new metal...the wheel well area is pretty much gone, rust behind it and also learned just infront of it has some bondo...ill prolly just have to get one of those panels that is almost to the door jamb too to bumber..put some real metal back in there!!

350 in it for sure... dunno about fixing the rear end..it'd be nice..but of couse the funds are pretty much enough to fix the body and get it in primer for now. I dunno what kind of tranny i want in it really, I think the 3 speed in it now would be a different approach to it all. Any other good tips?? and thanks again guys!

#14 · (Edited)
First of all, welcome!!!
Second ...............where in S. Mizzoura? I'm in Carthage and have gotten some great parts (replacement sheetmetal and carpet;etc.) from a nearby chevy place! Mine is a 73' Custom and still have a ways to go yet!! I installed a Big Block and have done most of the sheetmetal work, but haven't painted as of today! SOON, Tho'!!!!!
If you want to check out a good supplier of new parts, just follow my lower link to the Camaros and Classics site! their shipping is cheaper than jegs or most other suppliers!!
jammon73

http://www.camarosandclassics.com/

#15 ·
parts

where is the rusts at
and yes they can be fixed easy
most of the parts are changeable
hood only 73 74
fender 68 thru 74
trunk 68 thru74
inner fender 68 thru 74
springs are the same
dash is 68 thru 74
heater parts 68 thru 74
and some other ones
my springs are good
i put air shocks on and to me it rides good
i put 65 lbs on it
as far as the motor i am a v8 350 fan and i love the 3 speed

welcome to the site

#17 ·
It's not worst then mine ... I just spray bomb over it, every spring and I touched up the holes behind my backwheels with small fibreglass patches to keep the water out.

One day, when I have a garage to park my nova in, I'll then think about getting the bodywork done.

Right now it's the perfect 20! : )

http://chevynova.ca/73nova/rust.html

#24 ·
Good luck on your project .... and to others too!!

I figured that's how much rust my car has rusted in 30+ years ... what's another 1 or 2 years. The car hasn't seen a winter since '97 ... and I don't really take it out in the spring when it's wet .... so, what's a little more time.

I also park my car outside all the time too ... so to do all that work, spend money on paint doesn't make much sense right now.

Once I have a garage to park mine in full time, I may invest in some bodywork and then paint : ), but for now ... I just touch it up and keep her going.

I did my own half-quarters, wheel wells and floor patches on my 74 omega (with the help of some friends too) and WOW!, what a job ... altho I learnt SO MUCH from doing that kind of work ... I learnt from that, that I would never do my own nova. I love my car too much, and I'll leave it to a professional.
:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.