Chevy Nova Forum banner

Vortec heads and older blocks?

10K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  BowtieGuy 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if Vortec heads can be installed on a 1991 truck 350 block without modifications or if I do need to modify what mods do I need.

Thanks ahead of time ,
Randy

#4 ·
Get the guided rocker arms, I just put vortec heads on a 74 350, I am not sure about a 91 but I would get the guided rockers just in case, and the only difference is the intake, I reccommend the Air gap, there have been some good aritcles on the power made from just the addition of vortec heads and an air gap intake.

#7 ·
You can work the holes but you will most likely have sealing problems. Your best bet is to go ahead and get the correct intake for the Vortech heads. The other option is to go to Scroggin Dickey or another major Chevrolet parts dealer and GM per parts sale heads with both intake options. Thats the heads that I`ve just installed on my 3yr old crate 350. I shopped the sites and bought some NIB heads for cheap.
You CAN do it but it's not a good idea.

As above, you can get non self aligned rocker arms and use them but you will have to open up the pushrod holes. Keep in mind that you can't get too crazy with the valve lift on a lot of the factory Vortecs (no h in GM Vortec :D).

#6 · (Edited)
You can work the holes but you will most likely have sealing problems. Your best bet is to go ahead and get the correct intake for the Vortec heads. The other option is to go to Scroggin Dickey or another major Chevrolet parts dealer and GM per parts sale heads with both intake options. Thats the heads that I`ve just installed on my 3yr old crate 350. I shopped the sites and bought some NIB heads for cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.