Chevy Nova Forum banner

Went faster than I planned......

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  mino 66 
#1 ·
Hiya all,

I have a couple of questions about primer and filler. I am almost done stripping my 63 (I used chem stripper to get through the current paint job and some of the original, a wire wheel to get through the remaining paint and now a d/a sander to get the last bit) All I have left to do is the front pass fender and the hood. When I am done with that what is the next step? Do I put on a coat of self etching primer, an epoxy primer or do I use the body filler and then one of the above primers?

My plan is to get the body work done this spring and put it back together so I can drive it this summer then the "real" paint job next spring. So I will need a primer that will hold up for a season.

I had planned on this taking longer so I thought I had more time to do some research, but my wife went out of town for work this week and I suddenly have lots of free time for once and took advantage of it. I did tear down on Sunday (removed all trim, glass, interior, motor and trans. I had thought I would be able to do maybe a panel a week but since she is gone I did half the car and the roof in one night, the trunk and most of the other side last night.

Thanks in advance for any insight,
Jeff

See less See more
#4 ·
I believe the very next thing you need to do is wash the car with water making sure to get in all the places that will get paint. That is to neutralize the stripper so it doesn't bleed out later and ruin the paint from below. For more info on strippers please contact New York governor.

#5 ·
Just a few things I have learned.

Before you put the filler on first clean it with some metal prep.Like wax and grease remover.Then I take 80 grit and rough the area up.Another clean of wax and grease remover and then put the filler on.

I know it seems a little over kill.I got it from the guy that used to be the musclecar show.He built some really nice hotrods.

I've not had any filler work loose using this method.

#6 ·
Got it (I think) so filler then primer/sealer...... that is where I was mostly confused...... so.....

1) strip to bare metal......

2) clean thoroughly.... rough up.... clean again.....

3) apply filler.........

4) sand and level.......

5) self etching primer/sealer......

6) put back together and enjoy...... until next spring.....

lather rinse repeat........

Thanx guys.......

#8 ·
I'm no expert, but I would leave the etching primer alone and seal it with epoxy, it can sit in epoxy for years if it's out of the elements. Either filler on metal, or on top of the epoxy then sealed in with another coat. When you are ready to paint, scuff it up, then block it out.

Chop

#9 ·
Thanks again,

See that is where i was confused filler then primer/sealer or primer/sealer then filler..... I think from other reading filler then epoxy is the way I am leaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.