Air Struts or bags?? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th-June-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Cuban65ChevyII
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1965 Chevy II 4dr. 1st ca
Air Struts or bags??

I am a Rookie on air ride but I have plenty of experience in coil overs, trailing, arms, 4 links, control arms, ect... in the off road world of Jeeps and 4x4 conversions. Vehicle is a stock 65 Chevy II four door hardtop. 194 c.i. powerglide. I want to keep it completely stock as far as drivetrain, braking, and body as well because it was my grandfathers car, However I want to bag it and slam it on the ground while parked.

My question is what will give me the lowest stance while driving and then slammed while parked. Will bags or struts with a drop spindle be enough?
What would be my best combo to incorporate the rear as well. I can fab what I need so just basic parts will suffice.

So struts with spindles or bags alone or with spindles too? I would like it as low as possible it will be a cruiser not a road drifting, track cornering beast, just a grocery getter! THANKS for any info in advance all comments will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th-June-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Twinshadows

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1969 White 2-door
1st off....... Welcome to Steve's ........

then ...... for your ?'s....... I'm not sure..
but I really like 65's (all styles).... and I really like th' guys staying SIX......

So, I'd vote for "bags", to drop your car (when parked at th' shows or cruise nights)....... I think that would be 'killer'. I've had my '69 for 20 years as a DD, and just now starting to change things around (up dating items).
good luck , and , keep us posted

later, .jim

ps----- look at the bottom of this page----- "similar threads"..... more info

Last edited by Twinshadows; 18th-June-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 19th-June-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Roddychop

Title: Nova Junior Member
I have a 63 on air, bags/ drop spindles in front, triangulated 4 link in the back with sleeve bag/ shocks.

You will not be able to actually slam the car , it will be low but don't pretend you will lay frame.

You can search for my build thread " project Beaumont " for pictures of my set up.
Old 19th-June-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
Cuban65ChevyII
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1965 Chevy II 4dr. 1st ca
Thanks Rody and Twist. I figured I would not lay rail with just bags but as I said want to keep it stocker with a locker! I do want it on the ground as much as possible. I figure the spindles and bags up front and I am going to possibly make a 3 link in rear to keep it simple. I will make lower trailing arms with lengthened perches to add axle torque control and the top link will be for aiding the torque control but more so pinion angle if it does not work I'll just make to uppers and go 4 link! There is not a whole lot of power and torque in the 6 banger so I think it will work but I will over built it cause I usually do! Ha!
Any Ideas on drop spindles makers or bag houses. I seen Air Bag It has a kit for 1k which looks descent, Comments? Any one on struts have height and drop travel measurements?

Last edited by Cuban65ChevyII; 19th-June-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 20th-June-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
Roddychop

Someone put this kit on the back of my car ( minus the front struts )

http://www.ridetech.com/products/sus.../product-3249/

And this one on the front

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...spension-kit1/

I like air ride but I probably would not have bothered on a 63. Your limiting factor may be your oil pan. My V8 oil pan sits on the ground. Also it's already tough to get wheels under a nova without mini tubs and a front clip , so if you bag it don't expect to get much over stock sized wheels.

Pictures you see of huge deep wheels slammed under a nova sitting on the ground are usually tens of thousands spent and countless modifications.
Old 20th-June-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
Shane65

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 63 & 65 wagon 64 hardtop
Both my 65s had V8 front sump pans and they had lots of clearance to the ground when aired out. For safety reasons nothing should contact the ground when aired out in case of air bag failure while driving. The wagon picture is at ride height and the transmission and exhaust at that area only had 2 1/4" clearance yet I put thousands of miles on it. Wheels were pretty inexpensive(Jaguar E-type 15" X 6). Shockwaves on the front and custom made lowering blocks with de-arched springs. The sedan was air bags all around. I made my 4 link since there were no companies making them 18 years ago.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  3.1 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8280414.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	296898

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20th-June-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
Roddychop

You're telling me you got those rear wheels under the orange car without mini tubs ?
Old 21st-June-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Shane65

Don't think I implied the sedan was mini tubbed. I did mini tub the car. It is a stock width rear end and since I added 2" with the tub, I added 2" in back spacing to the wheel I had previously ran and around 2" in tire width.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Shane65; 21st-June-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 21st-June-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Roddychop

Thanks for clarifying. The picture of the wagon doesn't expand so its hard to see but if you were running 6 inch wide rims then it probably didn't rub.

My car has 7" wide rims with 4 1/4" backspace and with 205 tires on the back I was having rubbing issues until I had .125 " machined off the mounting flange. There is definitely not a lot of room under those cars unless you start modifying them.

I love the orange car but I bet it wasn't cheap to get that stance.
Old 21st-June-2017, 10:28 PM   #10
Shane65

Cost wasn't too bad. I made my 4 link and the Air Ride controls were new unused from ebay. ut they may have been 225(I sold it last year)I think the rear tires were 235 60 15 b Here's a picture that you can enlarge with the car at ride height. My 64 that I'm building is my most expensive. Shockwaves all around and TCI front and rear clip. Just have to find the time to get back building it.

Name:	DSC_0811.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	297098

Name:	Smith-Ennismore-Lakefield-20110424-00128.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	297106

Last edited by Shane65; 21st-June-2017 at 10:31 PM.
Old 22nd-June-2017, 07:34 PM   #11
Roddychop

I love the wheels and stance on that blue car.
Old Today, 03:56 PM   #12
rodnokn6

Nova(s): 63 wagon, 63 ss convertible
Cool rubbing where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddychop View Post
Thanks for clarifying. The picture of the wagon doesn't expand so its hard to see but if you were running 6 inch wide rims then it probably didn't rub.

My car has 7" wide rims with 4 1/4" backspace and with 205 tires on the back I was having rubbing issues until I had .125 " machined off the mounting flange. There is definitely not a lot of room under those cars unless you start modifying them.

I love the orange car but I bet it wasn't cheap to get that stance.
Question: were the outer sidewalls rubbing prior to having the flange machined ?
Old Today, 05:00 PM   #13
batman09

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1967 LS3 & 1962 LSX wagon
Garage
Heres a picture of my 67 with ridetech air ride installed...stock spindles

1962 Nova wagon-----Lsx/4L60e
1967 Nova---LS3/4L70e
Old Today, 05:13 PM   #14
Roddychop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodnokn6 View Post
Question: were the outer sidewalls rubbing prior to having the flange machined ?
Yes when it was just me in the car they were close but didn't touch, but when I put the family and supplies in for a day at the lake the one side was just touching enough to mark the sidewall. I had to run 120 psi in the back so it wouldn't touch which made for a pretty bumpy ride.

The wheel repair shop figured .125" was safe to take off without weakening the wheel and that did the trick .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement