Chevy Nova Forum banner

Back With a 66!!

22K views 157 replies 17 participants last post by  FirstGenArmy 
#1 ·
Well I have decided today to start a new thread on my new project. I introduced it in the new member posting, but I think I found a spot here to start the post for this project.

It seems like a lot once I got into it today.Ill just post the initial picture and keep going also with some flicker or youtube videos.

#30 ·
Funny Tom. If I only had a lift at my house like your.:drool:

Well, I have a few things to do now on it. I also need to buy and install a new column. Once I have it rolling with the wheels on it I am planning on taking it to a friends work/yard to set it up high and work on the under side. i am sure I will need clearance for the 20"s on the top wheel well so I figure on heating and beating/shapping, then I am going to lizardskin the full underside while I have the trans,engine,and tank out of it. Have you ever worked with lizardskin undercoating?

#31 ·
The lift has made my life sooo much easier..... :yes:

Never worked with lizard skin personally, but some members have and had good success with it. It looks like it makes a good looking job when done. I have also heard of some kind of product that is similar and you are supposed to be able to tint it with whatever color you like... just don't know the name...

T,

#32 ·
This is kind of an open question, but does anyone know or recommend a rear disc kit for a 9" ford???
I am running Granada discs up front with wildwood 4 piston calipers and want to run something similar in the back without pushing out the mounting of the back wheels. I don't believe the discs would change anything anyways..:rolleyes:

#35 ·
New update. I was really lazy over the holiday, so today I finally got to it. I pulled out the rest of the interior. The floor pan looks like a clown face right now with the red/blue/black paint and the lovely yellow fur from the insulation. Next I need to clean it all and install the counsel and shifter.
I am seriously considering lizard skinning the inside floor also before I install the new carpet back in..... I also need to put in new brackets for the buckets.
So my list goes like this now.
1. finish the counsel brackets and set up with the tunnel.
2. Install my brake master cylinder and run the lines.
3. paint the inside floor with the skin. Drop the juke and carpet in.
4. Then install the buckets and seat belts.
5. Install a new column and steering linkage.
6. Get rollers or buy my wheels.Then I am going to take it a friends to lizard skin the complete bottom before installing all the LS things(tank/radiator/trans).

This is just to keep myself in perspective on whats next. :roll eyes:

Oh and with all this I still need to sell all these random things I don't need anymore like the extra glovebox door and the bench front seat. My garage is getting to tight with all the things laying out on my floor. :turn:
Anyone interested in good blue seats PM me.

Attachments

#36 ·
Oh and on the rear brakes I totally agree with you guys. I just need to find the correct kit with the wilwoods at the right budget price. I found out it's a small bearing 9", so now I am on the right tract.:devil:

#37 ·
Ok I went a little crazy with the powder coating. I picked up the other items today (14pcs), and I am happy.:D
But I really didn't have to do this, I think I am getting addicted to powder coating. I did the front bumper brackets,fender brackets, hood latch and release, front grill/hood latch bracket, the mounting brackets for the down bars (which was why I had too), and then the sway bar to match the subframe. at least when I open the hood it will look super clean and special. I just need to find the right LS engine to put in there without breaking the bank.
I am also considering keeping the 700R4 again....:roll eyes: i might regret it later, but its seems good so far and it makes my LS search a bit easier just looking for a engine. Plus I think I might do the plug and play harness with a engine much easier for my mechanical skills.:bored:

Attachments

#38 ·
Ok finally got my butt in gear and pulled out the trans and cleaned up the interior a bit.:salute: Got to love Cali cars. My only rust is on the top of the floorboard tunnel, so easy removal.:cool: Cant wait too lizardskin the inside.
I also confirmed on how I am going to paint the underside of the car. I will attach some examples. I still have been nervous on the placement of the shifter hump. But I am going to get to it next week before I undercoat this baby.
I also got some pieces together to chrome.... I am not looking forward to the prices on this. I know so far just to chrome the back SS panel will start at $400. So I am starting small with the hood emblem and door posts.

Attachments

#39 ·
These are the samples of what I plan for the bottom.
1. is with rubberized coating, then I added a hammered black over it.
2. is just the hammered black with primer.
I think I will do the 1st one with the rubberized coating. Also the inside I will completely over the flooring with the lizardskin. I might add a second coating of the lizardskin ceramic inside not just the sound reading coat.

Attachments

#40 ·
Oh and heres the beast of a trans. I got this out all by myself and a floor jack.:beat: I never realized how heavy a 700R is.
I would also like to point out that overkill trans pan. That's going for a polished normal one. I am going to research on how to hook up and run a 700R with a LS. since its a very good built trans it worth the try. If I don't like it I will change it later with a 4L60-70.
Now I just need to get rid of all the drag race parts. Hurst shift goes, deep pan goes, and the old 350 4 bolt engine.

Attachments

#41 ·
I enjoy my 700 but I'm looking into a 5 speed as we speak. The only thing I've not been able to find is a way to connect the TV cable to the EFI on an LS engine. I'm sure it's out there I just haven't found a way yet. Something to consider.:rolleyes:

#43 ·
Well ran into Bowtie overdrives truck out at the Pomona swap meet this weekend and he pretty much told me I have to find a LS that works with cable if I want to use that setup on the 700R4.
Basically I think all things are telling me to sell the trans and move on to a 4L...:eek:
No choice but to spend more money. I just hope I can get some out of this trans. I don't think its easy sell a trans, even if it is good.
I have been looking and looking for a good LS swap and I am now thinking of finding the 3 options.
1. Cadillac Esclade full drop out =$4K+
2. A old Trailblazer SS and then strip it. 5K-8k.maybe get back some in the strip
3. A wrecked Vette 99-06. 6-7K
A new engine from GM is seeming cleaner...
Anyways in the meantime I am getting the nova ready for the new heart. Just dropped of the from die-cast pillars, hood emblem, and rear SS molding at the chrome plater. $675:slap:

#48 ·
Hey Tom what is "earlier to 60". Sorry I am a bit dull on LS swaps, :eek: but I learn quick:D
Did you go with Dakota digital for your gauges? I was thinking of keep it original and get an adapter from them for the speedo. But I will need to have some kind of monitoring for everything else.

#45 ·
Those all seem like pretty high prices for a truck style LS. I'd look into the LY6. They came in newer 3500 vans. Awesome motor and usually a lot cheaper than anything GM name brand like escalade or any car Ls. It's a 6.0 bottom end with ls3 style heads from the factory. Just put on a ls3 intake and get a wiring harness from psi and your set. Most of the vans are 2 wheel drive and will come with the 4l80. Love the Ls swaps and won't run anything else. :+1:

#47 ·
Awesome lead. I got on it today. I called a few places from the site. Seems they still want a lot to start from. That one was 4K and they didn't want to negotiate.:( they haven't even go it running since the tank was removed on it. This is what always worries me on drop outs. Again thanks a ton for the site info.

#56 ·
Man holidays have been very busy. Finally this week I will get back into the build. My chrome pieces should be done soon, and I will post photos of the work. I need to get into the column and finish installing. It seems I have tons of rain here in the "so called" deep drought California so I will likely hold of the underside painting.
On another note if anyone has seen this shifter before, could you possiblly identify what it is? I want to sell it to someone that can use it. Also if someone can post their set up on the counsel shifter I would love it. I am just trying to figure how to set it up. THX

Attachments

#58 ·
Thank you for the reply. Mine is totally different on the placement and the main bracket which bolts it to the floor hump. I believe I will buy an aftermarket one from Shiftworks instead. I have only found 1 on eBay that was original for 66-67 like yours and they are asking stupid money for it.:mad:

But on anther note I wish I knew what this shifter came out of so I can sell it to someone with the right car to use. I can imagine there is someone out there like me looking for the direct bolt in, but with a different model car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.