Chevy Nova Forum banner

Plastic seat backs flaking plastic?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Real McCoy 
#1 ·
I cleaned up my faded blue plastic seat backs so I could dye them black. The plastic is faded bad and it also has deteriorated so when you rub it with your hand fine plastic like flour dust comes off in your hand. I'm thinking I'm going to use a scotch bite pad or maybe some 320 grit sand paper and scuff it up then blow some dye on them. Anyone else see this and know of some other way to fix it? RM

#5 ·
I have similiar problems with white plastic for my 74 Nova and have also heard that other years and makes have the same problem (the plastic powdering). The only way to fix it is replace them or you could find a thin material and wrap them using a landau top glue spray adhesive. If you decide to cover them then I would sand them with a pretty rough paper to dig through to solid plastic material and then prep it with reducer or plastic adhesion promoter.

Jim

#6 ·
OK so tonight while listening to our HS football game I used a scotch bite pad and scrubbed the back panels. I scrubbed the hound out of them and the loose film scrubbed off but it left the texture pretty much in tack. The texture was like underneath the film. I wiped them with general purpose 3M vinyl cleaner and sprayed them with Fuson plastic paint. They look good. I bought gloss black and don't like the gloss so I plan to try semi gloss or something but the texture seems OK. Not perfect for a show car but fine for my purposes. I bought new chrome trim for the seats and it looks too small to fit. It looks like door edge and the old trim is bigger. I'll see how that fits later. RM

#7 ·
I went and got some satin Fuson paint today. I repainted the backs to get rid of the gloss look and painted the four side trim parts that go around the bottom of the seats. They all look pretty darn good. I'll be installing the chrome edge trim in the next day or so when I know the Fuson is good and dry. That should be a good test of how durable the Fuson is and if it is stuck on real good. RM

#8 · (Edited)
I installed the chrome edge trim and the plastic parts on one seat tonight. The paint didn't chip or peel and the palstic parts look good. I can recommend Fuson from the results I got. I got mine at Walmart. RM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.