'62 Chevrolet Chevy II Project - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th-October-2016, 02:29 PM   #16
SixTwo
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): '62 Chevy II
Now I'm (unfortunately) back home in Finland again after a trip to California and Pomona Swap Meet. It was my first time in Pomona Swap, but not the first time in the States, and actually we were at Pomona a bit less than a year ago watching NHRA Finals 2015.

Here in Finland none of our little Swap Meets start as early as it did in Pomona, so it was a bit unusual for me to be there at 5AM searching for parts. About seven hours later most of the parts were gone through and I moved on to drool over those complete cars for sale.

I found a new Moroso oil pan, tail light assemblies and headlight bezels and that '62 hood trim that is not one of the easiest ones to find. None of those parts were too expensive so they were taken home.

My dad was with me there and he bought those SBC Fuelie heads on our 383 Stroker engine project and then we had to buy the wagon too to haul the stuff around the area.

Right now that wagon, heads and oil pan are on their way to Finland in a shipping container...

Of course we visited other places too, for example Drag Racing in Fontana and Irwindale, Big Bob's Cruisings in Burbank, NHRA Museum, Las Vegas etc. I bought that legendary Half Sweep Tachometer from Mooneyes and new tail light lenses and gaskets and some clutch linkage parts from Classic Industries.

Now it's time to get back working on the car, the one thing I've been waiting on for a while. Otherwise I'd definitely prefer being still in the sunny SoCal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th-October-2016, 02:41 PM   #17
laruei

Title: Nova Junior Member
Doing some serious work! Looking good, sub'n to see final product
Old 3rd-November-2016, 04:32 PM   #18
SixTwo
(OP)

Thanks! Unfortunately I haven't had too much time to work on it lately, but here's at least one picture... I started welding those, well, whatever they are... Supports?, that are behind the backseat as I had to cut them when widening those tubs. It's a bit of a puzzle and those welding seams didn't turn out the best. Anyway I think they'll do as they will get covered under a carpet anyway (This car is not gonna have a backseat).

Now on to the other one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 5th-November-2016, 05:57 PM   #19
SixTwo
(OP)

Today I spent some time working on driver's side door. First thing to do was to cut that outer door skin in correct length using the measurements that I took from friend's car as a guide. I used a jigsaw for this as it could create those curves too.

Then after some minor fitting I welded rear end of that front door's inner sheet metal on its new place. Now the next thing was to stretch that window frame, but it wasn't so easy... I'll have to shorten that window frame from original back doors, but the top part of that window frame is a bit curved and it doesn't fit on front. The vertical part of that window frame though, is straight so I had to buy another rear door for this. I got it cheap from a friend and it's not in perfect condition so it's a good one for my use...

So I cut a correct size piece of that window frame from there and welded it on place. Then the door looked like this from outside... Pretty good, only that place where door handle and lock will be installed, needs to be moved a bit backwards.

And here you can also see that I had to weld a small piece of metal to that door skin as well...

Next I moved on to fill gaps inside the door. I cut pieces from original back door and welded them here. They were not exactly the same shape, but of course that's no new thing that the parts differ slightly from each other even if they should be the same. Nothing major was wrong though so with some careful fitting the pieces fit fine and this is how it looks now. Not quite finished yet, but getting there...

Old 13th-November-2016, 04:41 PM   #20
SixTwo
(OP)

Now I welded that support that's located behind original backseat on co-driver's side too. It turned out a bit better than the one on driver's side, but of course both of these supports will be covered under a carpet anyway...

I found an used piece of sheetmetal that goes between the grill and front bumper. Someone has used an angle grinder to cut three small pieces away from it so I'll have to weld some new metal in there to make this one look stock again. One piece is missing from front in the middle as you can see in the picture, two other missing pieces are in back and they're not seen in this picture.

And actually I already repaired one of the three spots. This is another one of those that are in the back.

Now I think I'll have to go shopping to buy some more sheet metal...

Old 28th-November-2016, 10:26 AM   #21
SixTwo
(OP)

There was a minor rust spot on co-driver's floor right under front seat. It seems there is one piece of sheet metal under the actual floor, but it's not quite the same shape as the floor pan. Which means, all water, dust, salt etc has been flying between them, resulting that rust spot on the floor...

Here you can see the gap:

The sheet metal under this floor was in a good condition so I just replaced the hole that was on floor. Before welding that patch on place, I painted that lower sheet metal with anti-rust primer.

I'm thinking I'll weld that gap shut so there will be no water ever again.

Then I started moving the B-pillar backwards where it should be on a Two Door Sedan. First I cut piece on top of that rocker panel away from where the B-pillar will be moved.

Removing that pillar wasn't quite easy from the top end, but after some careful thinking and cutting I was able to get it off. But looks like there might have been somekind of a crash or something in this car's early history. The place where that B-Pillar meets the roof was fixed with brass joints and some lead. There are also some signs of repairing inside, but luckily they''re not major...

When I had the B-Pillar on my hands, it was time to do some cutting. As you guys know, you can see that pillar on 4D models from between those window frames, but on two door models the pillar is "hidden" behind them. So after some cutting and slicing I think I got it in correct shape and welded it lightly on correct position.

Door closes really nicely, the lock components fit perfectly together.

Then I cut front end of original rear door's window frame off and started fitting it on place too. It required some work before it fit on correct place, but now it fits just fine:

And here is rest of the rear window frame mocked up on place.

Old 28th-November-2016, 11:31 AM   #22
acd65post

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 65 Two Door Post
Looking good. So will you be installing a door skin? Just wondering what you do about the door handle.
Old 28th-November-2016, 03:18 PM   #23
SixTwo
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acd65post View Post
Looking good. So will you be installing a door skin? Just wondering what you do about the door handle.
Thanks! I'll be welding the original rear door skin as part of the body so that it'll look like factory made two door model. I think I'll need to cut that door handle spot away from that rear door and fill that hole with some new sheet metal, and on front I just need to move that door handle place a bit backwards.

The mechanisms themselves will be built somehow from different parts I can find from my or from my friend's "archives"...

Old 5th-December-2016, 06:44 AM   #24
SixTwo
(OP)

Early last week I was going to finish welding that B-pillar on, but unfortunately my welding machine ran out of gas. Now when it's refilled again, I welded that pillar completely on its new place.

Then it was time to start fitting that original rear door skin on place, to be welded as a part of the body. The fitment was really good, so I welded it there from a couple of spots, but it was already so late that I had to call it a day... Now when I finish welding that on place, I'll get rid of that door handle-spot and fill that area with some new sheet metal.

Co-Driver's side trunk hinge mount was already welded together again, as I had to tear it apart when widening those wheel tubs. Now I'll have to do the same on driver's side as well.

Old 5th-December-2016, 10:26 AM   #25
ChevyII MD

Nova(s): 63 Hardtop
That's one way to make a 2 door!

Great work!
keep sharing!

Mark

"It's amazing that we know what we know, that we don't know"
Mick Weiand, 21st Century Philosopher
Old 8th-December-2016, 04:05 PM   #26
SixTwo
(OP)

Thanks Mark!
"Back in the day" some of the Finnish Hot Rodders turned several 4D Sedans into 2 Door models by just simply welding the rear doors shut. I wasn't alive back then, but after seeing photos of them I can tell you that some of them were not pretty.... Like in here, look at the Malibu: Early '90s Burnout Party Street Race

I had some minor problems with my welding machine, but I think I figured out the problem as now it's working again. So I finished welding that beformer rear door skin on place. Minor adjustments are still required in the inside, but outside is pretty much there, except for that door handle-spot...

Old 17th-December-2016, 05:35 PM   #27
SixTwo
(OP)

Earlier this week I welded the piece I cut on top of the rocker panel back on its new position. I also finished welding that panel that goes under the grill. Someone had cut a piece of it away from the front end.

There is still some work to be done with that driver's side door modification before I can weld that rear window frame on place. It shouldn't take too long anymore, though, as I'd like to move on to co-driver's side soon...

Old 18th-December-2016, 02:04 AM   #28
Outlaw67

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 67 Nova Prostreet sedan
Good job... Keep up the posts
Old 18th-December-2016, 06:38 PM   #29
67nova73

Nova(s): 73 and a 67 Nova
nice build ...
Old 18th-December-2016, 07:59 PM   #30
kcmocarguy

Nova(s): 1962 2 dr hdtp
To say I am impressed is an understatement. Looks fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement