Trans mount for 4L60E in a 63 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance > LSx Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 15th-December-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
MLM454
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Wagon,LS1 AOD build
Question Trans mount for 4L60E in a 63

Any of you guys with 63 -65 model cars used a trans mount from Year One or Classic Industries? I have a TCI clip and I'd like to buy one that will take care of the correct alignment to the rearend and clearance at the tunnel. I wouldn't mind drilling holes, but I don't have access to machine shop equipment anymore.

Also, have yall used any universal adapters that allow the stock column shifter to be used. I have the steering on the TCI clip hooked up and I'm ready to stick in the engine and tranny. I kept the stock column and steering wheel trying to keep the stock look inside. I don't mind if the shift indicator don't have 1,2,3,OD, I just want it to work.

Thanks for yalls help,
It's coming along nicely

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th-December-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Rantnrave1969

Nova(s): 67 hardtop in need of TLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM454 View Post
Any of you guys with 63 -65 model cars used a trans mount from Year One or Classic Industries? I have a TCI clip and I'd like to buy one that will take care of the correct alignment to the rearend and clearance at the tunnel. I wouldn't mind drilling holes, but I don't have access to machine shop equipment anymore.

Also, have yall used any universal adapters that allow the stock column shifter to be used. I have the steering on the TCI clip hooked up and I'm ready to stick in the engine and tranny. I kept the stock column and steering wheel trying to keep the stock look inside. I don't mind if the shift indicator don't have 1,2,3,OD, I just want it to work.

Thanks for yalls help,
It's coming along nicely

Mike
Chevy 2 Only has a crossmember for a 4l60E, you can use an autoparts store mount or urethane one. "Should" be no hole drilling. as for the driveline angles if you read enough of these threads about these clips out there, some guys have no problems some do. some fixes have been as easy as swapping motor mounts, others have been cutting the motor mount pedastals off the crossmember and relocating them. seems to be less of an isssue with a manual rack and smallblock, as opposed to power rack and LS engines. as for the shifter i think lokar has a cable hook up for that but headers have always an issue with column shifter
Old 17th-December-2011, 12:12 AM   #3
Burke

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1963 nova wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLM454 View Post

Thanks for yalls help,
It's coming along nicely

Mike
Does your TCI clip center the engine? I think you will find that most of the trans crossmembers are offset like stock and will need modification to work with a centered clip. I reshaped the stock power glide crossmember for mine, but it's a lot of cutting and welding. I was able to use my stock column shifter and linkage after some modifications, and Shiftworks makes a indicator lens that's properly marked for the 4L60. CBR makes the nicest crossmember for the 4L60E that I've seen. It's designed so youre exhaust doesn't have to hang to low, and bolts into the stock location.

Last edited by Burke; 17th-December-2011 at 12:16 AM.

Old 17th-December-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
MLM454
(OP)

I appreciate your help yall,

I didn't know whether to get a flat bar type like this:

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...va/CP16002.htm

the g force looks good like good clearance for exhaust:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/gf...FQNZhwodqUlInw

These are just a few I have seen:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...archid=6605617

I thought the flat would be better for clearance but the tube would be stronger.

I don't know about the TCI centering the engine, I can sure see the offset in the tunnel.

Thanks
Old 17th-December-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
63LSWagon

Title: Nova Guru
If youre considering the Chevy2Only crossmember for a 4L60, their description says it doesn't fit a later model 4L60 and they are right. This is mine (with an $8 summit mount)...

Old 17th-December-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
MLM454
(OP)

That's what I was afraid of Nova Guru,

You did a good job on yours, but I need a bolt in. I am using a 98 LS-1 engine and tranny from a Camaro. I haven't found out about whether the street TCI clip centers the engine yet but I believe it does. I looked at the TCI website and didn't see a cross member offered.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 17th-December-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
pismonut

Nova(s): 63 400
Just mod your stock mount as i did with my power glide one it works great and you can get a stock 02 camaro rubber mount from autozone for 13 bucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Old 18th-December-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
MLM454
(OP)

Thanks Pismonut,

I'll try that first and see how much modifying it needs.

Mike
Old 18th-December-2011, 10:23 AM   #9
67 church

Title: Supporting Vendor
Nova(s): 67 2dr hrd top, 2-63 wags
keep in mind that the type of adapter plates that you use for engine placement will determine if it all lines up as well. Some mounts move the engine forward some move them back....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Made in the USA
Old 18th-December-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
MLM454
(OP)

Thanks Chuck,

I bought the TCI clip from Ibuildm on here and he also sold me the LS motor mounts. I didn't realize they varied from front to back.

I haven't set the motor in yet, but that is next.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shifter linkage